Artpace San Antonio is a nonprofit residency program which supports regional, national, and international artists in the creation of new art. As a catalyst for artistic expression, we engage local communities with global art practices and experiences.
Since 1995, Artpace has welcomed more than 230 resident artists and commissioned thousands of significant artworks that would otherwise not exist. Our residencies, exhibitions, and education programs nurture the creative expression of emerging and established artists, while actively engaging youth and adult audiences.
The Residency and Exhibitions Manager works ectly with the ector to provide planning and clear communication for Artpace's resident and exhibiting artists. This position is responsible for planning, scheduling, budgeting, installation, deinstallation, and return shipping of exhibitions which meet Artpace's standard ofArtists First while maintaining the organization's reputation of excellence. The Residency and Exhibitions Manager will coordinate and support the duties of Artpace's studio staff members and contractors. They must work creatively, strategically, and flexibly, have good social skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects with overlapping deadlines. The ability to work with artists to interpret their designs and eas while adhering to firm budgets and timelines is key. This position has the potential to and organize exhibitions at Artpace.
· Review and manage program calendars and deadlines for International Artists-in-Residence, Curatorial residents, Performance Art residents, and exhibitions
· Manage and plan public programs related to residencies and exhibitions, including openings, talks, open studios events, and performances
· Develop and manage annual departmental budget including exhibitions, residencies, and public programs
· Manage online 'Open Call' system and assist in scheduling and escorting curators to studio visits throughout Texas with key staff
· Generate and manage artist, curator, and exhibition agreements
· Review and manage loan s and artwork checklists in coordination with studio staff
· Lead development of in-gallery resources and interpretive materials designed for various audiences,such as gallery notes; coordinate Spanish translations
· Develop exhibition layouts, models, floor plans, and designs
· Provide support for other Artpace projects and ventures as needed
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
The key skills required for success include the ability to work laboratively, communicate clearly and diplomatically, schedule and budget accurately, and think creatively about value engineering and problem-solving.The successful candidate will have the ability to work effectively with artists, leagues, the general public, interns, volunteers, and outside contractors. This position requires high energy, a significant time commitment, and dedication to Artpace's mission to serve artists.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Proficiency in a Mac-based work environment
· Familiarity with a range of traditional and non-traditional processes, techniques, art mediums, and materials with a strong understanding of audio-visual installations
· Strong knowledge of current art world practices
· Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience working in exhibition management, preparation, production, shipping, and museum practices
· Demonstrable experience developing and managing firm project budgets
· Highly organized; adept with spreadsheets and databases
· Proven ability to read and understand schematics, construction drawings, and exhibition floor plans; experience with 3D modeling software preferred
· Comfortable with public speaking and presentations
· Bachelor's degree in Art, Art History, or a related field preferred
Must have a valid driver's license and ability to pass background and credit checks
The Residency and Exhibitions Manager is a full-time, salaried position. Artpace offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, matched 403(b) retirement plan, and paid vacation and sick leave. Artpace's regular workday is 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday-Friday and as required. This position requires evenings and weekends for artists' projects, openings, lectures, and other public events as ected. This position reports to the ector.
To apply: Send the following email@example.com:
· Work history/résumé showing relevant experience
· Three professional references from immediate supervisors and leagues
· Two references from individuals, artists, or institutions whom you have supported
· Letter of interest addressed to Riley Robinson
Compensation: $45,000-$50,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Position Closes:October 19th or once a diverse pool of qualified applicants is achieved.
Artpace San Antonio provides inclusive, equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, or, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other non-merit factors.