Arts Alliance Illinois is seeking an innovative arts administrator and project manager, passionate about leveraging the arts, culture, and creativity as tools for advancing the health and vibrancy of Illinois communities. The Program and Communications Manager will be a big-picture thinker and a clear and concise communicator, skilled at both program development and marketing. The successful candidate will have the ability to assess and respond to the interests and needs of creatives and cultural organizations, building on current programs to create exciting opportunities that increase the strength of the entire arts community as well as individual artists and organizations.
This role will be responsible for all aspects of program planning and implementation for Alliance Member Organizations and for the cultural community more broadly, as well as storytelling and clear messaging about the Alliance, its membership, and the value of arts, culture, and creativity across Illinois. eal candidates should feel confident in implementing these programs, which include all aspects of logistics as well as some public speaking/ facilitation.
Due to the nature of our work, all staff must have the ability and flexibility to work occasional evening hours and weekend days. We maintain a very flexible work environment to compensate for this. As a small organization, it is often "all hands on deck," with no task or project too large or too insignificant for our attention.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, implement, participate in, and facilitate programs for workers in the arts, cultural, and creative industries, aligning with the Alliance's mission areas of civic engagement/cross-sector laboration, arts education policy/workforce development, and cultural equity and access. This includes budgeting and managing contracts, staffing, equipment, and materials/supplies.
- Ensure programs and resources reach the breadth of our statewide audience, through webcasting, geographic rotation of in-person events, and other innovative uses of technology to connect members.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan for these programs, including necessary advertising, public relations, grassroots, and social media strategies.
- Leverage our important network of organizations and artists and their lective strengths through partnerships to support, promote, and participate in programs.
- Evaluate the variety and mix of programs offered to the creative community by both the Alliance and our leagues to create opportunities that are unique and strategically aligned with the interests of the community as whole.
- Effectively develop, track, and report on programmatic data including key performance indicators, qualitative evaluations and feedback, and other measures.
- Support the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications plan, taking the lead on the creation and administration of a monthly organizational newsletter, social media accounts, and maintenance of organizational mailing lists and ectories.
- Support a wide range of public and member inquiries about Arts Alliance Illinois, referring to appropriate contacts when necessary.
- Support grant reporting and writing efforts as needed.
- Participate in defining and supporting the ongoing strategic ection of Arts Alliance Illinois.
- Foster effective teamwork between co-workers, Alliance members, and community participants, with strategies to create innovative opportunities for collaboration.
Priority Skills and Experience
- Prior experience in the arts or arts administration required.
- Experience developing and designing innovative and engaging programming related to the creative industries or arts and cultural sector.
- Organizational skills, in particular time management and project management.
- Attention to detail, complemented by the ability to see the big picture.
- Digital communications, marketing, and social media skills.
- Networking and relationship-building skills.
communication skills, including:
- written communication skills (ability to communicate complex points concisely and clearly; ability to create thorough and engaging marketing materials; ability to respond clearly and reliably to email), and
- verbal communication skills (ability to speak confidently and clearly about our work, ability to communicate respectfully and ectly with co-workers and clients, ability to navigate tense or challenging interpersonal dynamics)
Desired Skills and Experience
- Community organizing and facilitation experience
- Design capabilities, advertising or other creative content development skills, and/or a strong aesthetic sensibility
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Business management skills (operations, marketing, etc.)
- Fluency in one or more uages other than English
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried (exempt) position. The salary for this role is $40,000-$45,000 annually. Arts Alliance Illinois offers a generous health insurance and benefits package, retirement plan contributions after the first year of employment, a minimum of 26 paid days off per year, and a flexible work environment.
Hiring Process and Timeline
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter detailing your relevant experience and qualifications for this role to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Interviews: Qualified candidates will be interviewed in mid to late October. Semi-finalist candidates will be interviewed by a hiring committee. Finalists will be asked to submit work samples and engage in other mock programming or communications exercises.
Start Date: November 2018 (upon mutual agreement with successful candidate)
ALAANA people/People of or, trans people and gender nonconforming people, people from poor and working-class backgrounds, and women are encouraged to apply.