Art21’s Manager of Education Initiatives works closely with the Executive Director and Chief Curator, the Senior Education Advisor, Art21’s Digital and Curatorial team, and its Education Committee to support new and existing educational programs and projects including content development, professional development, event programming, and general communication and marketing about these initiatives across platforms. The ideal candidate has extensive knowledge of contemporary art and education, excellent writing and administrative skills, experience with event production and program management, and a proven track record as an effective collaborator and dynamic team player. They will also keep abreast of developments in the field of education with an eye toward interdisciplinary learning, and be creative about how to market Art21’s educational resources.
Program Coordination: Art21 Educators -- a year-long professional development initiative and expanding current community of 100 multi-disciplinary educators from across the country who develop innovative strategies for teaching and learning inspired by Art21 artists.
- Assist with planning and producing virtual and live events including summer institutes, workshop sessions, and special events;
- Manage program marketing, publicity, and participant application and selection process;
- Manage private social networking platform for program participants (Ning site).
Event Management: Virtual and live education events including professional development workshops and presentations. Work in tandem with Curatorial Assistant on artist events. Oversee Art21’s Screening Society program.
- Maintain goals, schedule and timeline for professional development events;
- Assist with the development of publicity plans and materials;
- Assist with the dissemination of event information and materials to broad-based educational audiences including teachers, administrators, school and community stakeholders, educational policy and decision makers, artists, and college/university faculty and students;
- Manage relationships with local organizations, event spaces and services, as well as local and national presenters/participants;
- Assist with technology needs for live and virtual events;
- Manage event registration and participant and presenter support systems;
- Coordinate event follow-up including evaluation, debriefing with presenters and organizational partners, and dissemination of event follow-up materials.
Content Development and Communication: Web-based, social media, and print formats.
- Assist Curatorial Assistant, Senior Education Advisor and Digital Media staff in the development of interpretive content including Educator Guides for Art21 platforms including web sites, Magazine, e-newsletters, and social media;
- Assist with the development of education related reports for Art21 Board and funders.
- Maintain updated contact lists, programmatic documentation and records;
- Develop budgets and contribute to development efforts to support all program activities;
- Contribute editorial content for the Art21 Magazine and work collaboratively with other staff members, as needed, on editorial content for all Web sites and social media platforms (art21.org, pbs.org/art21, and project-specific sites);
- Collaborate with other department staff as needed (Production, Curatorial, Development);
- Facilitate all communication about program activities, resources, and updates with the staff, Board, Board sub-committees, and general public;
- Conceptualize and drive initiatives to position Art21 as a leader in the field of art education.
- BA or BS required; Masters degree preferred in Art Education, Art Administration, Art History or a related subject;
- 5-6 years relevant experience working with contemporary art education including administration experience in museum education, non-profit arts education, community based education, and/or schools;
- Program management experiences as well as experience with professional development and/or teaching;
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and passion for contemporary visual art and education;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills in writing, visuals, and speech;
- Creative thinker and problem solver;
- Proven self-starter and team player;
- Flexibility and sense of humor;
- Technical savvy and experience with online platforms and social media;
- Knowledge of Mac systems and Microsoft Office platforms, as well as design software including InDesign and Photoshop. Design experience a plus.
Please email resume with cover letter to: jobs [at] art21.org, with the subject line “Manager of Education Initiatives”.
All resumes should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Your Last Name, Your First Name_Resume”.
All cover letters should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Your Last Name, Your First Name_Cover Letter”.
Art21 is an equal opportunity employer.