The Newport News Public Art Foundation (NNPAF) is seeking an Executive Director who is a creative and organized manager with strong skills in communication, project management and community relationship building with the abilities to administer and advance the Foundation’s mission.
The NNPAF is a non-profit organization whose mission is to educate, transform and inspire the community of Newport News with the finest collection of public works of art. With the support of private donors, businesses, City and State agencies, the Foundation has installed twenty monumental sculptures within the City of Newport News over the past 18 years as shown on our website.
The Executive Director will be responsible for administering the mission and projects of the NNPAF through the direction of the Board of Directors. The successful candidate will manage the finances, projects, operations, grant writing, fundraising, staff and volunteers of the NNPAF. The successful candidate must have experience with management of non-profit or similar organizations. The position also requires a good knowledge of site-specific construction related to arts and sculpture installations. This a full-time administrative position and is considered exempt from overtime pay requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act under Section 13 (a)(1) as a bona fide administrative position.
The salary range for this position has been established by the Board to range from $45,000 per year to $55,000 per year based on experience and capability. Health and other benefits will be subject to negotiation.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the annual and project-specific fundraising campaigns.
- Cultivate current and new donors.
- Write grant applications and coordinate with NNPAF fundraising staff.
- Maintain donor and outreach database.
- Create and maintain general operating and project budgets.
- Responsible for A/P and A/R in QuickBooks. Payroll and taxes handled by a third party.
- Manage all aspects of the creation of public art, including engineering, shipping, electrical, landscaping, and installation.
- Coordinate the logistics of specific art installations.
- Manage and implement a detailed maintenance plan for public art collection.
- Coordinate all aspects of the Board, Meetings of the Board and Committees, and minutes.
- Coordinate all aspects of the community and educational outreach strategy, including but not limited to community events, and presentations to civic groups.
- Coordinate media relations with local newspapers and television stations.
- Manage website, mobile app, and social media content.
- Supervisor for the Outreach and Development Coordinator and any student interns.
- Bachelor Degree or Master Degree in a Arts or related field, or professional experience in the visual arts field with developed skills needed for this position.
- At least 3 -5 years’ experience working in a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated skills in managing budgets, fundraising, project management and volunteer management.
- Experience in managing budgets.
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to identify and solve problems.
- Experience with event planning and public speaking.
- A good knowledge of site-specific construction related to arts and sculpture installations.
- Previous grant writing experience
- Ability to craft posts, manage reviews, and respond to comments on social media accounts for community outreach and fundraising
- QuickBooks experience
- Previous experience with donor management systems.
Application Requirements for this Position
Submit a letter of interest describing your background, pertinent skills and why you believe you would be a successful candidate for the job. Limit your submission to 5MB in size.
Submit a resume of your education and work experience and provide a personal email and phone number where we can contact you.
Provide a list of at least four personal references and two previous employment references with the names, email, and contact phone numbers where we can reach your reference to discuss your background for this job opportunity. Please contact your references prior to submitting your application so they are aware that we will contact them.
Provide information supporting work experience and personal expertise that meets the criteria described under Responsiblities.
Please submit your expression of interest and the above materials to the attention of Jeff Stodghill, AIA, Attention NNPAF, 10325 Warwick Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23601 or via email to . Application deadline is January 6, 2019 at 5:00 EST. All applications will remain confidential. If NNPAF finds a successful candidate is identified before close of the Application deadline, NNPAF may select a candidate at its earliest opportunity.
Successful applicants will be required to attend up to three interviews and provide specific examples of work that demonstrate the skills required for the position.
NNPAF welcomes and encourages diversity in the workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment benefits our mission, our community and enriches the perspective and relevance of our work. NNPAF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender or physical disability as prohibited under federal and/or state law.