The Los Angeles Children’s Chorus (LACC), LA’s premier Children’s Chorus, seeks an experienced Executive Director to lead a growth phase in the organization and support the artistic vision of the newly appointed Artistic Director, Fernando Malvar-Ruiz. This passionate, optimistic leader must possess excellent development, communication, and brand management abilities, be skilled at stewarding financial resources, while being an excellent personnel manager and a strong partner to the Board of Directors. Candidate must also possess a passion for arts education and a desire to collaborate with other professional arts institutions in LA and ensure LACC’s representation nationally and internationally as a leader in children’s vocal development and performance. Additional information may be found at:
· Cast an organizational vision that fulfills the programmatic needs of the current season and years to come
· Recruit, develop and lead an experienced team to manage critical business functions
· Take ownership of the financial health of the organization
· Create a culture of transparency with clear and direct communication throughout the organization
· Excellent follow-through in a demanding non-profit and performance arts culture
· Develop positive relationships with artistic staff, donors and parents of the choristers
· Help guide our relationships locally, nationally & internationally
Fiscal Stewardship and Development
· Experience developing and tracking strategic financial objectives
· Manage and improve the development program
· Actively seek new major donors, corporate sponsors and grants to support performance and education
· Motivate and recruit parents to participate in the development program
· Mine and utilize the resources within the LACC parent base
· Experience in creating a stewardship program
Communication and Branding
· Review LACC brand identity to ensure consistency with the organization’s values and culture
· Safeguard organizational communications & manage the LACC brand
· Effectively market performances and community outreach including the Annual Gala Bel Canto
· Alongside the Artist Director, develop plans to extend LACC performance opportunities in LA
· In-depth knowledge of best practices in non-profit and board management and governance
· Ensure the safety of each chorister according to best practices
· Help build community within LACC
· Kind and inclusive to individuals of diverse backgrounds, age, racial, and economic
· Entrepreneur. Optimistic, CAN DO leader with high ethical character. Excellent role model
Education and Experience
· 5-8 Years of demonstrated leadership in a non-profit environment, preferably in the performing arts
· Demonstrated relationship development success
· CRM (Sales Force, Patron Manager) very helpful
· BA, with preference given to MA/MBA, finance or other related field experience beneficial
· Arts management, education or performance background helpful
Benefits: Health, retirement, and vacation/sick benefits offered to full-time employees
We are Los Angeles Children’s Chorus - Get to Know Us
· Our Collective Purpose We believe music is essential to life. We experience choral singing as a powerful means to enjoy music and to educate, empower, and uplift people. In a supportive and joyous community, we carefully train voices, stimulate minds, and strengthen character. Our choirs enrich the lives of all who encounter our sound and messages. At LACC we deeply believe in the inherent benefits of participating in a choral music program and work to make our programs accessible to everyone and anyone without exception. Since every known culture in the world, present or past, has a tradition of collective singing, we join history and cast a vision to keep children singing together!
· We Study Music - We Perform Each of our 400+ choristers receive an intensive and progressive music education including choral training, music theory, performance opportunities, periodic individual voice coaching and access to national and international tours. Many of the choristers are selected for professional engagements and perform on LA’s most impressive stages including Disney Hall, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the Hollywood Bowl and Ford Theatre. The organization features seven choirs – Preparatory, Apprentice, Intermediate, Concert, Chamber Singers, Mixed Chamber Choir, and Young Men’s Ensemble. Additionally, we offer First Experiences in Singing classes and a First Experiences in Choral Singing Ensemble for 6-8-year-olds.
· We Are Richly Diverse Los Angeles Children’s Chorus is comprised of intelligent and talented young people who audition to be in each chorus. They represent richly diverse racial and economic backgrounds. They love singing and each individual develops artistic and personal excellence in a child-centered yet mature setting. Through beautiful singing and professionalism, Los Angeles Children’s Chorus brings the transformative power of music to communities throughout Southern California, the nation and the world.
· We Have Outstanding Achievements The chorus has earned the nation’s highest choral award, the Margaret Hillis Award for Choral Excellence, and regularly performs with the LA Philharmonic, LA Master Chorale, and the LA Opera under the esteemed batons of Gustavo Dudamel, Grant Gershon, Placid Domingo, and James Conlon. They have a refined Bel Canto sound and are known for being “astonishingly polished” (Performances Magazine) while performing the demanding classical masterpieces of Mahler, Britten, Puccini and Mozart alongside contemporary composers like Louis Andriessen, Christopher Rouse, Esa-Pekka Salonen and Daniel Bjarnason. LACC’s latest professional recording in 2017 was for John Williams and Steven Spielberg’s release of The Ultimate Collection. Annual galas have honored artistic giants like John Williams, Plácido Domingo, Richard Sherman, and Robert and Kristen Lopez and have also featured vocalists Susan Graham and Suzanna Guzmán.
Through the beauty of inspired and joyful singing, Los Angeles Children’s Chorus brings the transformative power of music to communities throughout Southern California, the nation and the world. The program ignites a love of singing and nurtures the full expression of each individual’s potential for artistic and personal excellence through the collaborative experience of choral music performance. Los Angeles Children’s Chorus provides choral music education of the highest quality to young people who represent richly diverse racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds.
To apply, please submit a cover letter detailing your accomplishments and interest in the position along with a detailed resume by Nov. 14, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Digital submissions only. No phone calls please. Please address your cover letter to:
Los Angeles Children’s Chorus
585 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91101