The Office of The Arts promotes the value of arts and culture in Alexandria by nurturing, investing in and celebrating the creative contributions of artists and arts organizations. Through engaging the community, encouraging participation, and facilitating access to the arts, the Office of the Arts works with local artists and arts organizations to build a vibrant community for all of the City's residents, workers, and visitors.
The Events & Public Space Activation Program Director performs diversified duties related to the management and production of City events and innovative programs, such as the Mobile Art Lab, that activate our public spaces. Candidates should have strong experience in the planning and production of a wide array of size and types of events; public space activation methods; and other related arts disciplines. This position will have experience in budget management and preparation, clear communication skills, as well as creative and imaginative methods for community engagement. The Regional Program Director for Events and Public Space interacts with a diverse population that may include the Mayor, City Council, the City Manager's Office as well as liaisons from various departments. The candidate will provide supervision to staff, from weekly scheduling to the preparation of performance evaluations. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Deputy Director – Office of the Arts.
What You Should Bring
You will bring your ability to manage multiple large events and project management experience; work and guide outside groups through the permitting process for those who desire to use city property for their event venue; and always represent the Office of the Arts, the Department and the City of Alexandria in a positive manner. Your experience with budget management, creating diverse arts and cultural programming as well as working in a fast-paced environment is required. Your passion for community engagement, public service while being responsive, professional, courteous and accountable will be highly-valued in this role.
- Develop and implement various City events including the City Birthday Party;
- Manage the special event permitting process for all events produced on city property;
- Lead public space activation initiatives and programs such as the Mobile Art Lab.
- Prepare and oversee various budgets to produce programs and events;
- Serve as a liaison to multiple City and community boards and committees;
- Promotes a positive and courteous attitude when enforcing policies, rules, regulations, laws and ordinances governing the conduct of a person using City facilities;
- Responds to customer questions and concerns in a positive and professional manner.