Over the last 55 years, Pennsylvania Ballet has evolved from a vibrant local ballet company into a thriving world-class artistic powerhouse. In the last three seasons alone under new Artistic Director Angel Corella’s guidance, the Ballet has catapulted to become a nationally-renowned ballet company, stepping onto the international stage with artists uniting athleticism and grace and cutting-edge innovation in new choreography. The Company has seen a remarkable increase in ticket revenue since his arrival, with ticket sales up 30% since 2015 and a record-breaking 86,000 attendees in the 2017-2018 season. With four world premieres on the calendar for next season alone, Angel is ready to push boundaries and rewrite the language of ballet.
In February 2018, Shelly Power joined Pennsylvania Ballet as Executive Director and became Angel’s partner in driving the Ballet to its next phase. In just a few months, Shelly has heightened momentum on all fronts, with a goal to increase structural and operational sophistication to allow Angel to continue the artistic trajectory of the company.
With these dynamic leaders in place, Pennsylvania Ballet is growing its development department to take fundraising to the next level. With this impetus, the Ballet seeks an accomplished, energetic development professional for Director of Special Funding and Principal Gifts to reimagine the Ballet’s current Major Gifts ($10K+) program and build a highly sophisticated Principal Gifts ($100K+) program from the ground-up. This new role must nimbly meet the ongoing challenges of shifting the culture of philanthropy at Pennsylvania Ballet from the top-down. The Director will serve as a true partner in fundraising to both the Artistic and Executive Director and must inspire a growing team as the Company considers an unprecedented campaign effort. For the right candidate, opportunities for performance-based salary enhancement will be available.
This position is a dual report to the Executive Director and Director of Development and will work in close collaboration other fundraising staff.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to align principal and major gifts strategies with organizational and Individual priorities.
- With the Executive Director and Director of Development, set clearly defined and measurable goals for principal and major gifts both annually and during any campaign efforts, as applicable. Celebrate current achievements and set expectations for future success.
- Carry a portfolio of highly rated donors and prospects and oversee the Executive Director’s and Board members’ prospect portfolios
- Partner with Board members to execute and coordinate high-level activities and individual meetings.
- Drive moves management strategy and ensure implementation through collaboration with Development staff.
- Contribute to prospecting, qualification, solicitation and cultivation plans, in partnership with the newly created role of Coordinator, Individual Giving and Research.
- Surface executive leadership and research engagement opportunities. Ensure opportunities are optimized through timely, quality preparation, and follow up.
- Strategize, plan, and evaluate the major and principal gifts program; develop and report on qualitative and quantitative performance metrics.
- Lead weekly portfolio review and strategy meetings.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- 7+ years fundraising experience, with specific experience in pipeline creation and moves management.
- Experience cultivating, building relationships with and stewarding sophisticated philanthropists.
- A track record of securing six and seven-figure gifts and increasing contributions.
- A creative, entrepreneurial thinker.
- Experience in developing and implementing sophisticated principal gifts strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Superior writing and verbal communications skills.
- Superb organizational skills.
- Tessitura or other CRM experience preferred.
- A heartfelt appreciation for the performing arts.
Candidates should forward their cover letter and resume via email to:
Director of Development
(No phone calls please)