Located along the beautiful downtown waterfront of St. Petersburg, Florida, the Museum of Fine Arts,
St. Petersburg, (MFA) is a collecting museum serving more than 120,000 annual residents and visitors
to the Tampa Bay area since its founding in 1965. The MFA is proud to present the only comprehensive art collection on Florida’s west coast, spanning 5,000 years of civilization in about 20,000 objects from antiquity to today. Highlights include masterpieces from Monet, Corot, Morisot, O’Keeffe, De Kooning, Rauschenberg, Whistler and others; a sculpture garden; a glass gallery featuring works by Tiffany, Steuben, and Chihuly; and one of the largest and most respected photography collections in the Southeastern United States.
In a growing city with multiple museums and a thriving cultural life, the MFA provides the broad context into which all the other local arts organizations fit. The MFA presents a wide variety of art experiences across the spectrum of time and culture – from blockbuster juggernauts such as Star Wars: The Power of Costume to provocative contemporary exhibitions by emerging artists and scholarly shows that illuminate the depth and beauty of the museum’s growing collection. With 17,000 square feet in collections galleries and 7700 square feet for temporary exhibitions (including a more intimately scaled Works on Paper gallery) the MFA brings art to life as no other museum in the Tampa Bay area can. In addition to its robust exhibition program, the MFA engages its community through exciting public programs and events, and serves our students through youth programs and a partnership with the Pinellas County School System. About 6,000 public school students attend the MFA each year as part of their 6th grade social studies curriculum.
The MFA St Petersburg seeks a Director of Marketing and Communications (DMC) who is a dynamic, creative marketing and communications professional to partner with the Executive Director and MFA team to advance public knowledge of the MFA’s collection, exhibitions, and programs to stimulate increased public engagement with the Museum.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will develop an annual marketing and communications plan and budget with strategic audience and revenue goals, and will report progress against goals, expense forecasts, and the success of specific campaigns throughout the year. S/he will work with colleagues and stakeholders across disciplines to develop both traditional and unconventional campaigns as effective means of attracting visitors, members and donors to the museum. The DMC will lead the creative direction, development, and production of all marketing campaigns and will ensure that marketing and PR functions are integrated and aligned, using media across channels to maximum effectiveness.
The DMC will oversee and coordinate the activities of the local communications firm hired to lead the museum’s PR efforts. This scope includes social media and appropriate content generation, which will be the responsibility of the DMC. Along with Development, the DMC will lead in community outreach and partnership efforts. The museum is also expected to refresh its graphic identity in 2018 and the DMC will be a key leader in this effort and rollout.
The Director of Marketing and Communications should be an enthusiastic individual with an engaging personality, able to communicate sensitively and effectively to diverse audiences, fostering goodwill among the museum's many members and guests and generating excitement about the museum’s activities. S/he should be comfortable presenting information to Board members, donors, media contacts, external partners, and the city's social, business and civic leaders.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, experienced, and creative marketing professional. Enthusiasm for the MFA and a genuine desire to help shape the museum’s exciting future are essential.
The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the Executive Director and oversees one Marketing Coordinator as well as external vendors for graphic design and communications/PR. Specific responsibilities include:
· Act as a key spokesperson and ambassador to the media and community
· Lead social media strategy and partner with PR firm to execute on social for increased engagement
· Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should have:
· Superior communication ability, orally and in writing; superb listening skills; and the ability to interface effectively with staff, marketing professionals, the press, and leaders within the MFA family.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic marketing plans with measurable results, establish and improve effective workflows, leverage internal and external talent and resources, manage timelines and optimize budgets
· Experience negotiating and managing contracts with advertising agencies, design firms, web developers, printers, videographers, photographers, software developers, and other freelancers
· Able to work effectively with many constituencies. The ideal candidate will have proven success with managing expectations tactfully, demonstrating grace under pressure effortlessly, and managing a large number of projects and efforts simultaneously and seamlessly.
· B.A./B.S degree in related field
· 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in a marketing position with a demonstrated record of accomplishment. Marketing experience in art museums or other nonprofits desirable.
· Demonstrated leadership and management skills including budget oversight and team leadership.
· Excellent project management skills. Able to plan and organize multiple projects, prioritize duties, meet deadlines and work effectively both as part of a team and independently.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Comfortable with technology, including use of social media, mobile devices and other relevant media.
The Museum of Fine Arts offers a competitive salary and benefit package in a state with no income tax and great weather year round.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to:
to the attention of Kristen A. Shepherd, Executive Director