About the position
ROCO is seeking a full-time Director of Marketing & Communications to oversee all marketing and communication efforts to cultivate patron acquisition and retention and to strengthen ROCO’s identity as one of the most unique and forward-thinking performing arts organizations in the country. The Director of Marketing & Communications reports to the Managing Director and works in collaboration with both the Managing and Artistic Directors to develop and execute a strategic marketing and communications plan. The primary goals are to: increase attendance and general awareness of ROCO; ensure consistency in messaging; align brand perception and reality; and support ROCO’s mission, all while developing relationships between audience and musicians through the language of music.
ROCO is an entrepreneurial and innovative organization that continues to build upon its “investor” business model. ROCO is relational instead of transactional, which allows for ROCO to offer low and/or free ticket prices to provide unparalleled access for all audiences. As such, contributed revenue makes up 90% of our income. The primary metric on which the success of this marketing/communications position will be measured is increased attendance. Increased and accurate brand awareness is also critical in the first few years of this newly established position. Together, these increases should ultimately lead to a larger pool of individuals feeding into our development pipeline.
ROCO is a dynamic and innovative professional chamber music ensemble that flexes from 1 to 40 players from all over the US and Canada, with guest artists from around the world. Performing intimate concerts in dozens of venues, ROCO’s musicians don’t just give concerts – they challenge preconceptions, create extraordinary experiences, and foster new relationships with audiences through the language of music.
Expanding the repertoire, ROCO has premiered over 65 commissions from living American composers. ROCO embraces technology, with free worldwide concert livestreams and real-time artist commentary via a smartphone app, as well as on-demand recordings of past concerts via the listening room. A vital part of the community, ROCO concert DVDs are sent to nursing homes and hospitals to bring music to those immobile communities, and its music education/childcare program attracts multigenerational audiences.
To shape the future of classical music through energizing, personalizing and modernizing the concert experience.
Core Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Campaign Planning, Management, and Analysis
· Create and execute marketing and audience development strategies and initiatives, including social media, email marketing, direct mail, and digital, print, and radio advertising with a goal of creating engaging, efficient, cost-effective, and targeted campaigns to grow audiences across all offerings
· Oversee brand development and assure consistent implementation in all areas and navigate potential inconsistences in brand alignment
· Partner with the Director of Development to coordinate messaging, timing, marketing, ticket-to-donor conversion, and overall patron retention that enhances the engagement between the patrons and the organization
· Oversee solicitation of and manage relationships with media sponsorships and advertising trade partners
· Track and report attendance and sales; analyze historical and current patterns to enable data-driven decision making and forecasting. Analysis should be focused on indicators such as return on investment, cost of sale, pricing analysis, and patron satisfaction
· Manage the development and ongoing maintenance, and promote the use of ROCO’s audience engagement technologies (smart phone app, audio/video streaming, etc.)
· Monitor, research, and stay up-to-date on marketing trends and best practices
Public Relations and Communications
· Coordinate and work closely with contract PR firm to develop public relations strategies and build relationships with local press contacts both in and out of traditional arts writers and editors
· Develop and oversee comprehensive digital strategy, including timely maintenance of ROCO’s website and social media channels
· Maintain program calendars and submit information to press and community calendar partners
· Collaborate with contract photographer/videographers and audio engineers to develop, organize, and deploy digital assets (concert live streaming, archival video and audio recording for on-demand/streaming access, musician interviews/demos, “behind the scenes access,” etc.) for promotional, audience engagement, and outreach uses
· Oversee the development of printed and electronic publications including concert programs, e-newsletters, brochures, etc.
Management and Administration
· Act as the steward of ROCO’s external image and connection to the community
· Work collaboratively with the entire staff to meet and exceed attendance, revenue, and overall strategic goals of the organization
· With the support of the Managing Director, create and manage marketing/advertising expense budgets and ticket/subscription revenue projections
· Develop and strengthen relationships and community partnerships with organizations in our region to benefit attendance and community building efforts; occasionally represent ROCO at community events and relevant membership/service organizations
· Supervise and manage the Marketing & Audience Engagement Coordinator
· Serve as the primary liaison with and manage contractors including, but not limited to a public relations firm, graphic designer, and photography/videography firm
Skills, Characteristics, and Qualifications
· Minimum of five years of progressive data-driven marketing and sales experience. Prior experience in performing arts or event related marketing, non-profit/mission-based organizations, and familiarity with classical music is a plus but not required.
· Proven record of success developing and leading social media marketing and audience engagement campaigns
· Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
· Adept at data analysis with an interest in understanding and interpreting numbers; must be able to calculate figures such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages, return on investment, etc.
· Forward thinking, innovative, problem solver with a desire to learn and willingness to experiment with new ideas and think outside of traditional or customary marketing approaches
· Comfortable serving as one of the outward “faces” of the organization and occasionally speaking in front of large crowds
· Builds rapport and demonstrates a sincere interest in others; able to effectively communicate and relate well with all kinds of people
· Strong computer skills including, but not limited to:
o Microsoft Office Suite and Google G Suite, in particular spreadsheet and word processing programs
o Website design/maintenance, experience with WordPress is a plus
o CRM database, experience with Salesforce is a plus
o Must also be comfortable exploring and testing new technologies to enhance marketing and audience engagement
· Physical demands
o Must be able to sit or stand in a stationary position for up to 75% of the time
o Must be able to regularly move about inside office, concert hall/theater, and other unconventional performances spaces to collaborate with colleagues, converse with patrons, and attend events, etc.
o Must be able to lift 25lbs to set up or tear down office functions and event management
§ The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. ROCO’s administrative offices are located on the second floor of a historic building which does not have an elevator and occasionally performs in non-ADA compliant venues.
Hours and Compensation
· Full-time, year-round, exempt employee
o Must be available evenings and weekends to meet the demands of a busy performing arts event schedule (average 25 – 30 events per year, the concert season typically runs from late September to early May)
· Position is paid on a salary basis (current budget is for $55,000 - $60,000 annually, commensurate with experience)
· Benefits include partial medical coverage, flexible office hours, and a generous paid time off and holiday policy
o ROCO is dedicated to sustainably and incrementally increasing available benefits for all staff over time
ROCO is a vibrant and growing nonprofit with a small staff. The organizational culture is highly collaborative: the thoughts, ideas, and opinions of all staff members are valued and encouraged. All are invested in pushing ROCO forward and finding new and better ways to serve the Greater Houston community through musical conversation. Each staff member is called upon to perform a variety of tasks, occasionally some may overlap with the other staff positions. ROCO is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in the workplace.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references (email address and phone numbers, please) in confidence to:
Attn: Amy Gibbs, Managing Director
Subject Line: ROCO Marketing Director – YOUR NAME
No phone calls please