The Westmoreland Museum of American Art seeks a creative and entrepreneurial Director of Advancement to join our team. The Westmoreland is a world-class museum with a strong collection of over 3,000 works spanning four centuries. The Museum recently reopened in 2015 with updated permanent collection galleries as well as a new large gallery space featuring a stunning cantilevered architectural design to present national traveling exhibitions and temporary exhibitions organized by the Museum. The Westmoreland is located just 35 miles east of Pittsburgh in the heart of historic Greensburg, Pennsylvania and within the Laurel Highlands region.
About the Position
The Director of Advancement is a senior leadership position responsible for all fundraising efforts and earned income activities. The incumbent manages staff and collaborates with senior and executive leadership of the Museum in conceiving and implementing strategic initiatives that will fulfill the Museum’s vision and provide a secure future. The position reports directly to The Richard M. Scaife Director/CEO.
The Westmoreland Museum of American Art is an EOE.
Interested candidates, please send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
1. Responsible for all fundraising and grant writing, including foundation, corporate, individual, government, annual fund drives, planned giving, capital and endowment and special events.
2. Oversees all membership activities, analyzes giving history, develops strategies to maintain and grow membership, and collaborates with Marketing, Education, and Curatorial on activities.
3. Collaborates and strategizes with the Richard M. Scaife Director/CEO, senior staff, consultants and Board on capital and endowment campaign initiatives.
4. Builds and maintains relationships in the community by regularly attending local chamber and other business events as well as events of other community organizations, foundations, etc.
5. Oversees organization’s local, state and federal government relations efforts, including managing relationships with county commissioners, elected officials and other government stakeholders.
6. Advocates for Museum initiatives through public speaking and other opportunities.
7. Works with Museum volunteer committee to raise money on behalf of the Museum.
8. Supervises staff by hiring, training, directing, monitoring, communicating and evaluating performance.
9. Participates in strategic planning process as a member of senior management team, including process study and presenting recommendations for improvement.
10. Responsible for earned income activities, including Museum Shop (which includes retail, online, wholesale and distribution activities and setting sales goals), Museum rentals and special events, Museum Cafe and product development activities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of experience in a senior management position in nonprofit arts organizations. Prior supervisory experience required.
- Prior experience and a proven track record in budget management, grant writing, social enterprise and earned income activities. Knowledge of financial management helpful. Prior experience with database and customer relationship management systems.
- Must be highly proficient with technology including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Have a collaborative spirit and sense of humor.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of the southwestern Pennsylvania philanthropic community.
Valid PA driver’s license.
May travel for professional conferences and must be able to drive to local meetings and events.