Baltimore Office Of Promotion & The Arts
Director of the Arts Council for Baltimore City
The mission of Baltimore Office of Promotion & the Arts (BOPA) is to address the needs of the arts community through arts and cultural activities, advocacy and support; create pride by promoting Baltimore to Baltimoreans; and, to use the arts and events marketing tools to promote Baltimore’s assets locally, regionally and nationally. BOPA produces festivals, special events, and promotions for Baltimore City and develops and administers funds, grant programs and community workshops. In addition, BOPA manages several historic attractions and sites in the Baltimore area. Facilities include School 33 Art Center, The Cloisters, the Bromo Seltzer Arts Tower and the Top of the World Observation Level in the World Trade Center.
The Arts Council for the City of Baltimore, a department of the Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts (BOPA), is seeking a Director of the Arts Council. This is a fulltime, exempt position, reporting to the Chief of Staff. This position is responsible for creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts that meet the organization's mission to make Baltimore a more vibrant and creative city. BOPA, a 501(c) 3 nonprofit is the city's designated arts council, film office and events producer. With a tradition of building on our City’s longstanding support of creative organizations and individuals, the Arts Council engages city residents and the creative community by providing public programs, funding opportunities, and professional support. The Arts Council is an economic catalyst and key to fueling a thriving nonprofit creative sector that generates more than $606 million in annual direct economic activity within the City of Baltimore.
The Arts Council also sustains diverse arts expression and traditions while investing in innovative approaches to artmaking. At the same time, we promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our city's diverse population, culture, and history by expanding engagement with diverse individuals and communities.
The Director of the Arts Council is a key part of collaborative team leading a department of a BOPA’s dozen cultural arts professionals within BOPA’s 50member collaboration team. We are seeking a self-motivated, dynamic, innovative arts administrator with strong communication and networking skills to manage existing strategic initiatives. Additionally, the newly appointed director will work to develop new initiatives to enhance and support arts resources within the community including institutions, organizations, and individual artists throughout the city of Baltimore.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
• Demonstrated knowledge of arts driven economic development, public art, design arts or visual arts.
• Demonstrated ability to work in urban communities.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the public art field.
• Demonstrated ability to assemble and manage teams and/or to work with a wide range of community partners.
• Proven ability in leadership, fundraising, and public presentation skills.
• Experience working closely with the Development Department to identify grants and for “regranting” opportunities for programs produced by BOPA.
• Experience providing guidance and information on financial, legislative, political and creative issues affecting the arts on a local, state, regional, national and international level.
Responsibilities of the Director of the Arts Council for Baltimore City
• Develop long-range strategic plans and goals for the Arts Council that align with the vision and policies set by BOPA. Researches needs of artists and the community to design programs and services to successfully elevate the arts in Baltimore City. Supervises staffing of department and subcommittees to ensure adherence to the Arts Council's mission and long-range plan.
• Provides professional expertise on policies, process and procedures >&g