School of Design
Type: Faculty, Full-time
The School of Design at Stephens College seeks an energetic, imaginative, and dynamic new Dean to lead an outstanding community of faculty and students. As a women’s college at the residential, undergraduate level, Stephens offers the right candidate a unique opportunity to support and sustain highly successful degree programs in fashion design, marketing and graphic design, and to shape truly forward-thinking new programs emphasizing women’s entrepreneurship, design thinking and leadership. The new Dean will work closely with other members of the College’s management team to identify and develop new opportunities for community and business partnerships, investment and outcomes.
Stephens College(www.stephens.edu), located in Columbia, Missouri, a vibrant college town approximately 120 miles from both Kansas City and St. Louis, is the second oldest women’s college in the country. Building on its tradition of strength in the creative arts and programming in areas of high demand in the health sciences, Stephens College and its programs are changing to better serve its students, the community, region, and nation.
- Working with faculty to develop and execute a School strategic plan that reflects the College’s mission and addresses marketplace needs in exciting and innovative ways;
- Fostering an academic climate in which quality teaching is expected, developed, and rewarded;
- Facilitating the recruitment, hiring, professional development, retention, and evaluation of an outstanding and diverse faculty and staff in accordance with College policies and procedures; participating in the recruitment and mentorship of an outstanding and diverse student body;
- Overseeing all School activities, functions, and facilities;
- Adhering to and executing School policies and procedures in alignment with the College’s academic and administrative policies and procedures;
- Developing and managing effectively the budget within the School;
- Participating in the process of fundraising;
- Networking, growing, and maintaining professional and community connections, including with alumnae;
- Encouraging positive collaboration between the School and other College programs and units, while serving as an effective advocate for the School;
- Maintaining, developing, and implementing new academic programs, curricula changes, program reviews, and external partnerships consistent with the missions of the School and College
- Monitoring enrollments, scheduling, and space needs to ensure appropriate allocation;
- Preparing and reviewing reports, evaluations, and other related materials for accreditation associations; and
- Representing the School on the Deans Council, on other internal and external committees as well as at regional and national professional associations.
The successful candidate will possess a PhD, MBA or MFA in a design-related discipline; a distinguished record of excellence in teaching and scholarship; a record of successful and increasingly responsible academic leadership experience as a dean, department chair or director; a demonstrated capacity for creative and innovative leadership in curricular and program development; knowledge of assessment and specialized program accreditation; and experience with budgets, budget oversight, and managing resources wisely.
- A clear vision and the strategic ability to expand current programs as well as build new ones;
- A record of collaborative, decisive, transparent, and timely decision-making and the capacity to communicate such decisions with clarity and care;
- Leadership in developing and supporting new levels of excellence in scholarship and faculty development;
- The ability to develop new and creative ways to continue to attract, support, and retain high-quality faculty;
- A demonstrated commitment to the development of students to their fullest potential in the quest for academic excellence;
- The willingness and capacity to cultivate external relationships with industry leaders and corporate partners and to speak passionately and knowledgeably about the School’s programs;
- Experience working with enrollment management and student services issues;
- The ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with diverse constituencies, including faculty, students, peers, administration, staff, and external audiences; and
- An understanding of and support for the College’s core mission.
Stephens College offers excellent benefits, including vacation/holiday/sick pay, health/dental/life insurance, tuition waiver and College-paid retirement plan.
1. Complete the online Stephens College application
2. Then submit the following to email@example.com
- Substantive cover letter addressing the qualifications listed above and reflecting your leadership style
- Curriculum vitae
- List of at least three professional references with full contact information and a note indicating the nature of your working relationship with each. (Note: References will not be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate.)
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check.
EOE A diverse community on campus is valued.
Smoke Free Campus