Imagination Stage is seeking an Associate Managing Director. Established in 1979, Imagination Stage is a nationally recognized TYA and theatre education non-profit organization with a $6M operating budget (TCG Group 5), and is in expansion mode with plans to open a second regional facility in the next few years. The successful candidate will join the Board and Staff Leadership Team responsible for positioning the organization for a heightened profile in the region. The AMD will work with the Executive and Artistic Directors to ensure their ability to assume high profile responsibilities in political, charitable contributions, and government agency areas. On a daily basis, the AMD will have direct responsibility for financial and risk management and will oversee administrative, IT and facilities aspects of Imagination Stage. The AMD reports to the Executive Director and works in partnership with the Board, Executive Director, Artistic Director and Imagination Stage’s executive team to meet the organization’s goals.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Board of Trustees
· The AMD has special responsibility for the work of the board finance committee to ensure appropriate fiduciary oversight and to monitor and secure the long term stability of the organization. This includes financial oversight of the Imagination Stage DC operations.
· The AMD is responsible for providing regular financial reports to the board including monthly financial statements that include both a statement of position (balance sheet) and a statement of activities, performance to budget, forecasting and accurate cash flow projections as well as ensuring that a timely, annual audit with management letter is delivered. This includes financial reporting on the Imagination Stage DC operations.
· The AMD works with the Finance Committee on all of the above and to ensure that the organization’s portfolio is prudently managed.
· The AMD ensures that an appropriate group of people meets to discuss the facility’s immediate and long-term needs.
· The AMD ensures that an appropriate group of people meets at least on an annual basis with facilities staff associates to discuss the organization’s needs against emerging technologies to determine the best course of action within the organization’s limited financial frameworks.
· The AMD, working with the board, the Executive Director, the Artistic Director, leadership of Imagination Stage DC and others as necessary, is responsible for strategic, long- term financial planning that will position ISI to attain the financial resources necessary to accomplish long-term strategies and priorities of the organization.
· The AMD exercises responsible stewardship of the organization’s resources to ensure the distribution and allocation of those resources for the optimum balance of artistic excellence, financial strength, and institutional integrity.
· The AMD oversees and controls the flow of funds to permit steady progress toward achievement of the mission and objectives (short-term and long-term).
· The AMD establishes an efficient and timely annual operating budget process and works with the leadership and executive staff and the board’s finance committee to develop the annual budget for timely presentation to the board for discussion and approval.
· The AMD is responsible for overseeing and monitoring annual budget implementation and presenting and interpreting the financial status of the organization to the board and executive staff on a regular basis.
· The AMD creates a capital budget and monitors all capital related spending and acquisitions.
· The AMD ensures that all reporting and legal requirements are met and that appropriate risk management policies are in place.
· The AMD seeks advice of Imagination Stage’s Legal Counsel to ensure compliance with legal not-for-profit requirements.
· The AMD works closely with the Legal Counsel on issues that may require legal oversight.
· The AMD works with appropriate personnel, such as the Director of HR and Insurance Representatives to develop long-term planning strategies that address risk management for the organization.
· The AMD works with department leadership to assure implementation and enforcement of all financial security policies and procedures
New Initiatives /
· The AMD advises and assists the Executive Director and Board on evaluating opportunities and developing strategies for new business ventures as well as implementing and overseeing their development as necessary.
· The AMD, in tandem with the Executive Director and the Artistic Director, evaluates new initiatives submitted by executive staff against human, financial, time and other resources.
· The AMD manages contracts for the Artistic Director, as necessary.
· The AMD works with the Facilities & IT Manager to provide oversight in the following areas:
o Negotiation of leases with tenants, especially relating to rental opportunities with a view to maximizing customer service and earned income generation.
o Maintenance of all operating systems in the facility and administration, keeping the organization on top of the curve for technology and other needs.
o Maintenance of a long term IT infrastructure plan and implementation of changes annually, including working with IT contracted support and ordering hardware.
o Operation and maintenance of the theatre’s physical plant, including offices, education studios, theatres, tech areas, off-site scene shop and storage facilities.
o Management of large-scale physical plant contracts, such as HVAC.
The AMD provides direct oversight to these staff positions:
· Facilities & IT Manager
· Staff Accountant
REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
· 5-7 years relevant experience in a non-profit setting, preferably in an arts organization
· MA in Arts Management or equivalent experience
· Proven operational and financial track record
· Ability to communicate complex financial information to a variety of audiences
· Strong interpersonal skills to interact effectively with diverse personalities at all levels within the organization
· Ability to balance long range planning while maintaining attention to details of more immediate projects
· Experience working with legislators, government agencies, and major donors a plus