George Mason University's College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA), including the Center for the Arts and the Hylton Performing Arts Center is looking for a creative and energetic Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications promotes the activities of CVPA, coordinates all public and media relations activities for the Center for the Arts and Hylton Performing Arts Center, and supports the public and media relations activities for CVPA at large. This position helps promote performances and events at the two performing arts centers, including the student performance and exhibition activities of CVPA through media outreach, community outreach and social media initiatives.
Primary activities of this position include the coordination of the following:
- Write and disseminate press releases for Great Performances at Mason, Hylton Presents, Hylton Family Series, special events at the Center for the Arts and Hylton Performing Arts Center, and CVPA academic units;
- Develop story ideas and pitch those ideas to relevant press;
- Create and execute public relations plan and timeline;
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with key media and community personnel;
- Assist in developing and executing communication plans of CVPA academic units, and coordinate with Mason Office of Communications to disseminate press releases and pitches about significant news from CVPA units;
- Coordinate the execution of marketing strategies to promote subscription and single ticket sales for the Center for the Arts and the Hylton Performing Arts Center;
- Coordinate grassroots efforts and audience engagement initiatives;
- Assist in writing, editing and proofreading;
- Obtain, organize and maintain artist materials;
- Manage press archives; and
- Contributes content for social media initiatives for the Center for the Arts and the Hylton Performing Arts Center, regularly posting to social media accounts and serving as accounts administrator.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing or related area, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Excellent communications skills, including writing at a very high level;
- Knowledge of industry standards for public relations and social media;
- Proficiency in social media platforms;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite;
- Knowledge of the arts; and
- Demonstrated public/media relations and/or marketing experience.
- Knowledge of Washington, D.C., and northern Virginia press as it relates to arts and culture;
- Adobe Creative Suite experience;
- Previous experience in a university or in an arts environment; and
- Previous experience with subscription and single ticket campaigns in a performing arts organization.
Education Required: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience