Job Title: HGOco Community Initiatives Manager
Reports to: Director of HGOco
Classification: Full time, Exempt
Date: June 2018
The HGOco Community Initiatives Manager works closely with the Director of HGOco to create and implement important collaborative projects that explore the ways in which opera and art explore, resonate with, and contribute to the diverse, complex and vibrant Houston community. The Community Initiatives Manager is passionate about establishing and developing relationships within and without the greater Houston area and will develop innovative projects that dynamically reflect the ways in which opera and art intersect with other areas of the human experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Manage HGO’s Seeking the Human Spirit – a six-year multidisciplinary initiative (launched in 2017) designed to highlight universal themes raised in opera and to expand and deepen Houstonians’ connections to opera and art.
· Develop and manage the budget pertaining to program portfolio
· Working with members of the Marketing & Communications team design, implement, and maintain media relations, marketing strategies, and web-based (and some printed) materials related to special projects portfolio
· Provide research and narrative content as necessary to support fundraising and communications efforts
· Identify opportunities for inter- and cross-department collaboration on initiative activities to allow for maximum impact with the most efficient use of company resources
· Oversee interns or volunteers on a per-project basis
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & COLLABORATIVE PROJECTS
· Working with the Director of HGOco explore and develop collaborative programs in partnership with community arts and service organizations; educational, health & wellness institutions; civic, spiritual and other community or cultural organizations.
· Research, develop and oversee the implementation of strategies to broaden and strengthen HGO’s relationship to the community.
· Work with HGOco Director to continue the development of the HGO’s Cultural Advisory Committee.
Note: This job description represents the essential functions of the position, but is not all-inclusive. Additional duties related to the mission and goals of the department and organization may be assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. A degree in an arts, cultural, language, or sociology area is preferred. At least three years’ experience working in a community engagement program with proven project management skills including, but not limited to, program planning, relationship building, and marketing and development. Exceptional writing and communication skills are required. Experience with developing projects that reflect or are sensitive to diversity, social justice and other relevant contemporary issues is required. Candidates who are fluent in one or more of Houston’s most spoken languages will be given priority consideration.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
The ideal candidate will demonstrate curiosity about the demographics, history, and communities of the greater Houston area. The candidate must have the ability to collaborate, be flexible, to work independently and to be part of a larger team on complex tasks with minimal supervision. Success in this role requires someone who is imaginative, outgoing and eager to explore new methods of connecting opera and the arts to the community. Candidates must be willing to imagine and design programming that aligns with the company’s mission and goals. Night and weekend work is required when related to portfolio or special company/departmental events.