PEN America is seeking a new, dynamic, and committed Manager of Membership and Marketing to extend our track record of growth and engagement with our membership of 4,400 professional writers and members of the literary community. The successful candidate will be highly self-motivated and will enjoy considerable entrepreneurial autonomy in building our current membership dues revenues of just under $500,000 by setting and meeting targets, executing marketing and partnership strategies, and being able to demonstrate tangible success through increasing membership numbers and satisfaction levels. The Manager will bring entrepreneurial drive, a formidable work ethic, affinity for fast-paced environments, a passion for data analytics, and a tenacious approach to making PEN America—with its dual mission of celebrating literature and defending free expression worldwide—even more central to the lives of writers. The Manager will have the opportunity to interact directly with a wide spectrum of writers, mobilizing them as ambassadors for PEN America and the cause of free expression. Success will be measured in terms of membership growth, retention, and satisfaction.
The Manager will develop and implement innovative strategies to grow and sustain membership through offers, activities, partnerships, outreach strategies, and incentives. The Manager will develop recruitment targets and approaches, ensuring outreach and engagement of a diverse array of writers nationally. The Manager will handle all member recruitment, renewal and servicing needs, and hire and supervise a team of member engagement interns. The Manager will partner with, support and build PEN’s Membership Committee as a strong force behind Membership growth and engagement efforts.
The right candidate will have a passion for leading a program designed to broaden PEN’s engagement with the community of writers. The Manager will bring a strong understanding of the messaging and marketing, membership outreach strategies, online and social media marketing, and membership data analytics.
· Understand and refine PEN America’s value proposition to members and utilize that knowledge to execute effective recruitment, engagement, and renewal strategies
· Develop and oversee membership recruitment messaging and marketing materials
· Carry out outreach to current and potential partners to develop offers and incentives to grow membership and engage allies
· Manage membership database and develop weekly membership reports
· Generate member prospect leads through a variety of sources including the Internet, publishing houses, publications, and PEN America events
· Handle member recruitment, onboarding, and renewal communications
· Manage quarterly mail renewal process for existing members
· Streamline and strengthen web-based interfaces for member recruitment, onboarding, and renewal
· Develop and implement systems for data and outreach tracking that foster heightened efficiency and transparency
· Engage PEN America Board, leadership, and staff in supporting membership growth strategies and initiatives
· Develop and implement a strategic approach to membership discounts
· Engage members in PEN America events, providing staff support as needed
· Plan and staff member tables at appropriate PEN America and partner events, implementing effective strategies for outreach and recruitment on-site
· Coordinate and support regular meetings of the Membership Committee, including providing meeting notes and follow-up correspondence and tracking and reporting on the success of recruitment programs
· Carry out periodic membership satisfaction surveys, analyzing results, and proposing adjustments to program
· Identify and help to secure new sources of funding to support member programs and activities
· Implement targeted programs of member outreach and benefits that are calibrated to maximize member recruitment and retention