Jacob’s Pillow seeks an experienced, dynamic Director of Finance and Human Resources for this full-time, year-round permanent position with excellent benefits.
Financially strong and celebrated for its artistic vision, the Pillow’s attendance and prominence grows stronger each year. If you are a strategic manager with exceptional fiscal literacy, including experience managing endowment funds, are adept at managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced organization and working collaboratively across departments, the Director of Finance and Human Resources is an opportunity for both professional advancement and to contribute to the excellence of an important cultural institution. The Director of Finance and Human Resources reports to the Pillow’s Managing Director and works closely with the Treasurer of the Board of Trustees.
The annual operating budget of Jacob’s Pillow is approximately $6M. The organization has an endowment, cash reserves, and is stable financially. There are 34 full-time year-round staff members, and 25 Board members.
Jacob’s Pillow encompasses 225 acres and 42 buildings, including two theaters, an outdoor stage, five studios, the Archives, seasonal restaurant, café and concession stand, Store, gardens, nature trails and residential housing and cabins.
Called “the dance center of the nation” by The New York Times, Jacob’s Pillow will celebrate its 85thseason in 2017 as a renowned annual international Festival, Archives, and professional School. The Pillow also encompasses a variety of programs and events that are active year-round.
Jacob's Pillow was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2003 by the federal government as "an exceptional cultural venue that holds value for all Americans." It is the only dance presenter in the U.S. to receive this honor. In March 2011, President Barack Obama, in a White House ceremony, awarded Jacob’s Pillow the National Medal of Arts, our nation’s highest recognition in arts and culture.
FINANCE and ACCOUNTING:
Manage and oversee financial operations in order to sustain and advance the organization’s financial health.
- Prepare and control budget in collaboration with department heads
- Manage designated drawdowns from endowments
- Maintain proper checks and balances; supervise control procedures
- Oversee annual audit and liaise with independent auditors, subject to Board Audit Committee
- Liaise with Board Treasurer and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Execute the Festival's investment banking , cash flow needs and investment transfers, under direction of Finance Committee
- Issue financial statements, budget status projections, investment reports, special funding budget status, sales reports, short and long-term cash flow projections, and other information analyses and other reports on deadline and as needed
- Oversee internal financial workflow
- Monitor and control expenditures, including purchasing, company credit cards, check signing, and cash
- Produce grant proposal budgets and track status of grant monies
- Supervise maintenance of financial records: general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll
- Oversee reconciliation of development records of contributions, as well as financial reports for funders
- Ensure financial and tax compliance
- Manage Cultural Data Project input and analyses
- Oversight of all vendor contracts and rental relationships
- Supervise all Business Office matters
- Advise on legal and compliance matters, in tandem with Managing Director
- Supervise retail sales
- Manage insurance coverage and case administration
- Supervise office management including reception, phone answering, office supplies and mailroom activities
HUMAN RESOURCE ADMINISTRATION:
- Coordinate and ensure compliance with Employee Policies in tandem with Managing Director who sets policies, subject to approval of Director
- Oversee employee benefits administration and on-boarding process and paperwork
- Ensure human resources compliance
Status: Full Time
Reports To: Managing Director
Works With: All departments
Supervises: Accounting and Human Resources Coordinator
Office Manager / Receptionist