this is a part-time .5 position.
Reports to: Headmaster and Arts Chairperson
Job Description: Ballet Teacher
Reports to: Headmaster, Artistic Dean, Dance Department Chair
General description and goals:
The Boston Arts Academy, a public high school for the visual and performing arts, is starting its 20th year in September 2018. It is a joint project of the Professional Arts Consortium, Inc., (comprising the Berklee College of Music, Boston Architectural College, the Boston Conservatory, Emerson College, Massachusetts College of Art and Design and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts) and the Boston Public Schools. The Boston Arts Academy is charged with being a laboratory and a beacon for artistic and academic innovation. The Boston Arts Academy prepares a diverse community of aspiring artist-scholars to be successful in their college or professional careers and to be engaged members of a democratic society. Through a dynamic, holistic, process-based approach to school transformation, the Center shares BAA's successful practices with school communities.
* Teach Vaganova ballet based technique courses to all levels, beginner through advanced.
* Teach other dance electives such as partnering, men's class, pointe work and character dance.
* Mentor students for auditions, choreography projects or senior concert
* Choreograph yearly dance concert and other events upon request of Dance Department Chair
* Co-Lead a Dance Advisory.
* Complete weekly formative assessments of students'participation and progress.
* Complete quarterly summative assessments of students'participation and progress.
* Teach Seminar Class
* Communicate with parents/caregivers on a regular about student progress in writing and in person.
* Arrange and attend evening meetings with families of students in Advisory Group (and other students as appropriate) at least twice a year, and be generally accessible to families.
* Serve on the assessment panel for the 10th grade Benchmark Sophomore Benchmark Review.
* Share responsibility with other dance faculty in departmental administrative duties such as supervising students in field trips or rehearsing their own work.
* Attend weekly department meeting, faculty meeting, and faculty retreat.
* Participate in audition workshops for applicants, as well as auditions and call back.
* Participate in school community events.
* Teach the Honors Ballet (Accelerated Ballet) classes during and after school for selected students: Hours included in the extended eight hour day schedule.
* Work for two days after the end of school year in June reviewing and evaluating year and completing activities
* Work an extended day of eight hours with occasional time as required for student performance and presentation activities.
* Take part in full school professional development and curriculum workshops, tentatively scheduled for the last week of August - included in CFC contract.
* Strong classical ballet background and knowledge of specific classical ballet curriculum such as Vaganova, RAD and Cecchetti, etc.
* A background in modern dance and contemporary dance, including Horton based technique, as well as classical modern dance techniques.
* Three years teaching experience, preferably in an urban, high school setting.
* A team player who can collaborate with the department chair and other dance faculty in building a culture of seriousness and professionalism in the department.
* Self-motivated and ability to take responsibility.
* Commitment to the arts as an important element in a complete education.
* Commitment to cultural, ethnic and linguistic diversity as a significant element in a complete education.
* DESE Dance teacher license
* Knowledge and experience in development sequential ballet curriculum from beginning level to advanced level.
* Professional experience as a ballet dancer.
* Experience (or ability to) in setting classical ballet repertoire and/or choreographing contemporary ballet.
* Eligibility to receive Massachusetts provisional teacher certification (please call Mass. DOE regarding alternative routes to certification at 617-###-####).
* Bachelor's degree (transcript required).
* Fluency in languages in addition to English.
* Experience with current technology relating to arts and education.
* Experience working in a heterogeneous classroom.
* Commitment to receive Massachusetts DOE teacher license in Dance
* Experience working with a diverse community of learners.
* Experience teaching dance composition.
* Some knowledge of modern dance and/or somatic training.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter directly to: Bob Kollar, Director of Finance, Human Capital and Operations, Boston Arts Academy, 174 Ipswich Street, Boston, MA 02215 or by email address: ...@bostonartsacademy.org.
Terms: BTU, Group I
Please refer to www.bostonpublicschools.org/ohc (under\"Employee Benefits and Policies\") for more information on salary and compensation. Salaries are listed by Unions and Grade/Step.
Next year, many BPS schools will have a longer school day through the\"Schedule A\"Extended Learning Time (ELT) agreement. To learn more about ELT at BPS and whether or not this school is a\"Schedule A\"ELT school, check here: bostonpublicschools.org/elt.
The Boston Public Schools, in accordance with its nondiscrimination policies, does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, criminal record (inquiries only), disability, homelessness, sex/gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics or military status, and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals'dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.