The Communications team at Urban Gateways is seeking volunteers to shoot high-quality photos of students engaged in our arts programs in Chicago-area schools and community venues. Photography is an essential component of our organizational communications; photos will be utilized in print materials like program catalogs and postcards, as well as online (website, social media, etc). We credit photos wherever possible, giving our volunteers ample fodder for portfolios and professional references.
This is a great opportunity for photographers who are interested in Chicago nonprofits and/or the arts sector to give back and gain great experience. By helping to tell the story of Urban Gateways, you will help to ensure the long life of programs that make a lasting creative impact on young Chicagoans. To see examples of recent work by our photo volunteers, check out our Flickr page.
Photo volunteers receive a $50 stipend per shoot. We reimburse parking as needed.
- Must have your own camera/equipment
- Professional or semi-professional photography experience required
- Experience working with human subjects in a documentary style
- Must have the availability to shoot at least 5 times annually (scheduling is flexible and is determined on a case-by-case basis, based on the program schedule and photographer availability); weekday availability strongly preferred
- Car not required but strongly preferred
- A background check (paid for by Urban Gateways) will be required prior to program visits. This is a legality and we thank you for your understanding!
- Work with Communications team to schedule approximately 5 (or more, based on availability) program visits per year; visits typically require 1-2 hours, occasionally more.
- After each visit, edit photos and deliver at least 20 high-quality photos electronically (Dropbox preferred) in both high and web resolutions.
This position receives a small stipend, $50 per photo visit. Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter, and links to work samples (which should include photos featuring human subjects) to Communications Manager Anna Joranger: email@example.com