Jacob’s Pillow, now in its 86th year, is a nationally and internationally renowned center for dance, home of the longest-running dance festival in the U.S., and a National Landmark. The institution is in the first year of Vision ’22, a five-year strategic plan to strengthen the artistic core of the organization, expand civic and community engagement, and renew historic facilities situated on its beautiful 220-acre campus in the foothills of the Berkshires. The quiet phase of a capital campaign to raise $15 million is currently in progress
The Pillow has an exciting opportunity for an energetic, creative, high-performing professional to join its Development team as Major Gifts Officer, responsible for managing a portfolio of approximately 175-200 donors and prospects. This position will be based in New York City with travel within the New York- metropolitan area as well as New England and offer residence on the Pillow campus during the10-week Summer Festival .The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for cultivating and stewarding assigned prospects, as well as research to identify new ones, and will travel frequently to engage and solicit a variety of donors. As needed, the Major Gifts Officer will support the Director of Development, Director, and board leadership in their fundraising efforts and goals. In addition, s/he will also help to plan and execute events focused on the Pillow’s strategic donor initiatives and on expanding a culture of philanthropy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and current donors, maintaining frequent personalized contact, often traveling to meet them.
- Qualify, cultivate and solicit donors for funding to meet institutional priorities and fundraising goals.
- Design and implement effective and donor-centric strategies to actively engage donors and lead to solicitation.
- Work with donors and Development staff to match the priority needs of the Pillow with a donor’s philanthropic vision.
- Spearhead creative and strategic thinking for innovative gift proposals that inspire donors to make major level gifts, and formally close the gift process.
- As needed, provide strategic and tactical support to involve the Director, Director of
- Development, other key staff members, and volunteer leadership in developing all prospect relationships.
- Participate when required, in strategic planning for the Director and Director of Development’s travel schedule and review of prospects.
- Produce pre-visit briefing materials, and post-visit follow-up communications and proposal plans.
- Meet collaboratively established metrics and goals for visits, solicitations, closes and other meaningful contact with assigned prospects.
- Promptly record contact reports and carry out other essential follow up activities and ensure accurate documentation of prospect strategies, solicitation plans and contacts and their entry into the Pillow’s prospect management system.
- Analyze activities to achieve progress towards stated goals.
- Effectively utilize administrative support and delegate tasks as appropriate.
- Passion for dance and /or the arts.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic experience.
- Minimum five (5) to seven (7) years fundraising experience and track record of success with individual prospects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills; genuine interest in people and their personal stories.
- Ability to travel.
Experience working in non-profit arts organization and/or dance organization. New York-based (see below)
SKILLS & QUALITIES
- Must be self-motivated with a passion for meeting and exceeding goals.
- Strong strategic thinker and planner.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in collaborative problem-solving with prospects and colleagues; highly organized in portfolio and time management.
- Must be able to establish and maintain excellent rapport with donor constituents as well as colleagues.
- Able to operate both independently and as an active participant in team-based strategies.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, diplomacy, confidentiality, and to exhibit a mature, professional approach at all times.
- Versatile in standard office computer skills and online database systems.
The majority of Jacob’s Pillow major gifts prospects are New York-based therefore an individual based in Greater New York is desired for this position. Need for flexible work schedule with the ability to travel, and to work nights and weekends. The Gift Officer is required to be present on the Jacob’s Pillow Campus in Becket, MA Thursday- Saturday during the Festival Season (in 2018, between June 14 and August 26). Outside of the Festival season, this position will need to be present in Becket, MA 2 - 7 days per month September - May. These periods would include office time with staff and whenever possible, will be planned in conjunction with major meetings and events. Housing and meals will be provided during required on-site periods of time as well as access to a Zip car if necessary. Salary commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to Alex Groff, Director of Development, email@example.com with “Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line.