Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater, a national center for the production, presentation, development, and study of the American Theater, seeks an experienced candidate for the position of Literary Manager.
The Literary Manager oversees all aspects of literary management and dramaturgy at Arena Stage while working to develop and deepen Arena Stage’s relationship with artists and audiences. As a core member of the Artistic Development Department and the Artistic Team, the Literary Manager reports directly to the Deputy Artistic Director. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
• Administering the Artistic Development Department’s script submission, tracking, reporting and response process, including engaging and managing a group of volunteer script readers
• Serving as production dramaturg on all productions, or occasionally hiring and managing outside production dramaturgs
· Coordinating with and supporting Arena’s new play development dramaturg, Jocelyn Clarke
• Managing all administrative aspects of the new play development process, including script tracking, supporting presentations and workshops of new plays in development, and
research, and partnerships as needed.
· Developing and managing dramaturgical partnerships with local and national institutions
· Facilitating and/or speaking at post-show conversations, panel discussions, open rehearsals, Meet and Greets, and other special events
• Writing program notes
• Collaborating on the season planning process with the Artistic Team
• Interviewing, training and managing Artistic Development volunteers, fellows and interns
• Collaborating with other departments
- M.A., M.F.A., or minimum three years of related professional experience
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills, strong analytical skills for reading and research, imagination, and the ability to innovate.
- Awareness and understanding of the national and local field of professional theatre; with existing relationships and experience with artists from throughout the U.S.
• Ability to work well with a variety of people and departments
• Ability to work without supervision
• Experience with all Microsoft programs and Final Draft
This position is full time. Benefits include vacation, medical and dental insurance, 403(b) plan and life insurance/long term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Please submit cover letter, resume, sample dramaturgy packet, sample program notes, and list of three professional references to:
Jackie Rucker Bohi, HR Associate, Arena Stage, 1101 6th Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: April 6, 2018