Museum AdministratorIdaho State Historical Society
Open for Recruitment: December 20, 2017 - February 5, 2018
Announcement # 02710015247
Salary Range: $24.04 - $33.66 per hour ($50,003.20 - $70,012.80) -Plus Competitive Benefits!
The Idaho State Historical Society is an extraordinary system of cultural and historic resources comprised of the Idaho State Museum, Idaho State Archives, State Historic Preservation Office, and Old Idaho Penitentiary and Historic Sites Program. We seek to inspire, enrich and engage all Idahoans by leading the state in preserving, sharing, and using history and cultural resources relevant to today to inform and influence the future.
The Idaho State Historical Society is looking for a dynamic and experienced professional to provide visionary and progressive leadership as Museum Director. The Idaho State Museum is in the final year of a full renovation that adds state-of-the-art exhibits, exciting programming and enhanced event opportunities to the operation.
The successful candidate will oversee the launch of the new operation including the implementation of the updated Museum Business Plan, development of new programming, and the successful engagement of new audiences.
- Directs the museum’s operations in accordance with professional standards established by the American Alliance of Museums and includes exhibits, education and public programming, development, and collections management.
- Engages the community through establishing and fostering strong community partnerships; promotes the museum through its comprehensive marketing plan; enhances the Museum's public image through public presentations ensuring the relevance of history for all museum audiences.
- Implements and evaluates the Museum Business Plan, determines museum financial requirements and participates in all fundraising and development activities, including grant writing and developing relationships with foundations, corporations, and individual donors working closely with the Development and Grants Administrators; prepares budget requests, and authorizes and monitors museum expenditures.
- Develops goals and priorities for the museum consistent with Idaho statutes and Idaho State Historical Society (ISHS) guidelines and ensures ISHS vision and strategic plan and both ISHS and State of Idaho policies and procedures are embraced and followed by department staff.
- Hires, trains, evaluates, and develops museum employees and resolves personnel problems.
- Negotiates agreements and contracts for museum.
- Provides oversight, supervises and participates in the acquisition, deaccession, security, preservation and maintenance of historical artifacts; provides resource information to researchers and the public on the Idaho State Museum collection, conservation and preservation of historical artifacts and on related Idaho history.
Education and Exhibit Programs
- Champions purposeful planning, development and implementation of exhibitions and public programs; ensures ongoing commitment to education advisory committees and related external input methods; oversees staff in planning and delivery of education programs to school and other groups both in house and off-site.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Museum Studies, Museum Leadership or a related leadership/management field such as History Administration, Public Administration, History, Education or Cultural Resource Management.
- Demonstrated leadership in applying/advancing national standards and innovative thinking within museum operations, education, or cultural based organization.
- Good knowledge of management practices
- Managing museum operations within a museum and/or major programs in a museum, education, or cultural resource based organization
- Building and maintaining long-term relationships with external constituents such as donors, foundations, granting agencies, or corporate sponsors
- Developing and/or monitoring budgets
- Supervising staff