Job Description: Executive Director of Portland Ballet
Portland Ballet is a 501(c)(3) organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, which is responsible for selecting and directly supervising the Executive Director. The Executive Director has overall responsibility for the administration, planning, marketing, organization development, and staffing of the organization. Drawing upon the board’s resources and contacts, the Executive Director also takes primary responsibility for the fundraising activities of the organization. The Executive Director works with the Board to develop and implement strategies and recommend plans for future growth.
The Executive Director will be required to undertake the following duties:
Executive Director Duties: OVERALL
● Be responsible for the over-all administration of the organization, in conjunction with the Artistic Director.
● Working with the Board, develop business and strategic plans for the future of the organization.
● Working with the board and key staff, develop the organization’s vision, strategies for achieving the vision, and metrics for assessing progress.
● Set the tone and manage the culture of the organization.
● The ED will attend events, studio/dress rehearsals and performances, and use such opportunities as cultivation opportunities for Board and fundraising development
Executive Director Duties: DEVELOPMENT AND FUNDRAISING
● Responsible for developing and securing revenue streams for the organization; develop and implement a strategic plan to raise funds in a cost-effective and timely fashion.
● Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them
● Lead PB’s annual, endowment, capital and other fundraising efforts in order to sustainably increase the financial resources available to PB. This should include, but is not limited to:
o Development of community and corporate contacts
o Donor database management and consistent cultivation (e.g. membership letters)
o Oversee, lead and inspire all fundraising activities, including the identification, cultivation and solicitation of top-level prospects.
Executive Director Duties: PUBLICITY AND MARKETING
● Act as a spokesperson for the organization's artistic and teaching purpose to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
● Oversee publicity and marketing activities through review of content, participation in marketing activities, etc., with support from Artistic Director and staff.
● Coordinate the publicity, press development, and advertising for all activities of the organization.
Executive Director Duties: COMMUNITY RELATIONS/EDUCATION
● Establish and foster the development of sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and other cultural organizations by participating in meetings and joint activities where appropriate.
● Coordinate the invitation of potential future promoters and supporters of the company.
● Work with the PSB Principal to coordinate educational outreach activities including Youth Concerts and Lecture Demonstrations.
Oversee preparation of an Annual Report summarizing
progress on short and long range plans.
Executive Director Duties: ADMINISTRATION
● Provide leadership and vision to the organization by assisting the Board and staff with the development of long range and annual plans and with the evaluation and reporting of progress on plans
● Work closely with the AD and other staff to articulate the artistic vision and direction of PB. Ensure that PB activities are consistent with both the artistic vision and the financial resources of the organization.
● Manage all PB business and legal activities.
● Select, hire, contract, develop, supervise, motivate, and inspire professional administrative personnel.
● Develop and maintain an appropriate organization structure.
● Oversee all human resource and facility issues.
● Coordinate all volunteer and Guild activities, including recruitment, committee development, performance fundraisers, etc.
● Carry out such other duties (not otherwise described herein) as are assigned from time to time by the Board, or, self-initiating, as are necessary for the effective functioning of PB.
Executive Director Duties: FINANCE
● Work with staff, Finance Committee, Fundraising Committee, and the Board to develop and achieve a budget that fits PB’s artistic vision and strategic plan.
● Work with Artistic Director, staff, and Board to meet contributed income goals.
● Ensure the financial stability of PB by developing and implementing successful earned and contributed income strategies and producing net income surpluses.
● Maintain good financial practices and controls within the organization.
Executive Director Duties: GOVERNANCE
● Work effectively with the Board of Directors.
● Report to the Board of Directors on a regular basis to give Executive Director Updates.
● Attend Board and Board Committee meetings as required.
● Work with Governance Committee, Board and staff to develop and implement policy.
● In conjunction with the Artistic Director, PSB Principal, and Board, communicate with Advisory Board at least annually.