The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra is seeking an exceptional and accomplished professional for the administrative leadership position of Director of Marketing and Communications. The selected candidate will be a key member of the staff leadership team, reporting to and serving as a strategic partner to the Executive Director.
About the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra
Celebrating its 25th Anniversary Season in 2017-18, the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra (www.orlandophil.org) is led by Music Director Eric Jacobsen and composed of accomplished musicians from around the world. The Philharmonic annually presents more than 150 live performances of classical, popular, and chamber music in venues across Central Florida. Known for its artistic excellence and community collaboration, the Philharmonic reaches more than 70,000 children, youth and families annually through its Young People’s Concerts, Symphony Storytime Series, the Notes in Your Neighborhood program, and free outdoor community concerts.
The Philharmonic owns and operates The Plaza Live, a multi-use venue with a 900-seat theater that also houses the orchestra’s administrative offices and rehearsal space. As a resident company of the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, the Philharmonic will perform its primary subscription series concerts in Steinmetz Hall when it opens in 2020.
About Music Director Eric Jacobsen
Conductor and cellist Eric Jacobsen is in his third year as the Music Director of the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, where he has begun a new trend in creative programing and community engagement that has engaged a wider audience. Hailed by The New York Times as “an interpretive dynamo,” he has built a reputation for engaging audiences with innovative and collaborative projects. Jacobsen founded the adventurous Brooklyn-based orchestra The Knights with his brother, violinist Colin Jacobsen, to foster the intimacy and camaraderie of chamber music on the orchestral stage. As Music Director, Jacobsen has led that inventive ensemble at venues ranging from Carnegie Hall and Ojai Music Festival to the Dresden Musikfestspiele and the Cologne Philharmonie. Their extensive recordings include Azul, with cellist Yo-Yo Ma, and the ground beneath our feet, on Warner Classics; the Grammy-nominated Prokofiev Violin Concerto No. 2 with Gil Shaham on Canary; and three albums for Sony Classical. In demand as a guest conductor, Jacobsen has led or will lead Camerata Bern, the Alabama, Baltimore, Detroit, and Virginia symphony orchestras, ProMusica Chamber Orchestra, Deutsche Philharmonie Merck, Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Naples Philharmonic, and Silk Road Ensemble. He is also an Artistic Partner of the Northwest Sinfonietta and Music Director of the Greater Bridgeport Symphony. A dedicated chamber musician, as well, Jacobsen has toured the world and recorded numerous world premieres as a member of the venerated Silk Road Ensemble and the genre-defying string quartet Brooklyn Rider. On May 8, 2018, Yo-Yo Ma and Colin Jacobsen will perform the Brahms Double Concerto with the Philharmonic, led by Eric Jacobsen, in a special 25th Anniversary Concert.
Working closely with a dynamic and collaborative Administrative and Artistic Staff, Board of Directors, and Volunteer Association, the Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the planning, development, and execution of the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra’s programmatic and institutional marketing and communications initiatives to meet or exceed earned revenue and engagement goals. This unique opportunity is for a select candidate who has a proven track record of success in performing arts marketing, audience development, communications, and an impeccable customer service orientation.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and guide marketing campaign strategies/plans and spending for both subscription and single ticket marketing across all marketing channels, print/broadcast/direct mail/telemarketing/e-commerce.
- Analyze sales patterns and pacing, campaign results, and ticket history to determine and/or change the course of campaign strategies and investment, positively impacting future campaigns.
- Structure pricing strategies to achieve audience growth and maximize long-term revenue potential.
- Develop and monitor annual budgets for series as well as department focusing on return on investment, pricing analysis, market trends, and consumer satisfaction.
- Ensure brand standards and brand communication strategies are consistently maintained and applied through all touch points and communication platforms.
- Develop content marketing and patron development/cultivation programs to support ticket sales and build strong relationships with our audiences.
- Work with Development Department to establish best practices to convert subscribers into donors.
- Work effectively with creatives, data analytics, and other outside vendors and consultants.
- Develop strategies for patron retention and frequency-building efforts, including subscriber and single ticket retention and loyalty programs.
- Manage the marketing and patron services teams, providing direct supervision to Assistant Director, Sales and Patron Services; Group Sales Manager; and Digital Marketing and Communications Manager.
- Direct telemarketing firm to deliver exceptional customer service and increase patron loyalty and engagement.
- Coordinate with other departments — Development, Education, Finance, and Artistic Operations — to communicate and synchronize marketing-related matters and promote proper flow of information as it relates to marketing initiatives and responsibilities.
- Meet regularly with Marketing Committee and keep them apprised of progress, plans, and concerns, as appropriate.
- Represent the Philharmonic in the community and at concerts and special events
- An undergraduate degree with 5+ years relevant progressive experience in performing arts marketing, arts administration, or closely related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively as a department supervisor and part of a management team
- Highly developed organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Competence in budget development and analysis, sales analytics, and data-driven decision making
- Ability to lead and manage a successful, service-oriented team
- Self-directed, creative, and flexible; able to problem-solve, multi-task, and adapt to changing priorities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, familiarity with website CMS and e-mail communication platforms; experience with Tessitura or similar CRM database systems preferred • Availability to work frequent nights and weekends at concerts and events
- Knowledge of and passion for orchestral music highly desired
- Able to work as part of a high-functioning team, inspire and lead through example utilizing the skills, abilities, and passions of a diverse set of stakeholders to build relationships and advance the organization’s mission
Salary and Benefits
The Director of Marketing and Communications is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position. Annual salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. OPO offers medical and vision insurance (100% of employee premium covered by employer), paid vacation, personal days, and sick leave.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary expectations before April 30, 2018 to: Charles Owens Executive Search Consultant | Nonprofit Practice Lead, Resonate Search Group, Rochester, NY firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Preference will be given to application materials received on or before April 30, 2018 and the position will be open until filled. No telephone calls / No agency resumes accepted. EOE M/F/V/D