To be the chief marketing, branding, publicity and communications strategist for the Hopkins Center for the Arts at Dartmouth building broad and diverse audiences from the Dartmouth and Upper Valley communities and beyond. The Director of External Affairs functions as the principal staff-level leader in marketing and communications for the Hop, developing a public “brand” that represents artistic excellence, national prominence, program accessibility, community involvement and educational opportunity, particularly for Dartmouth students. He/she will be a collaborative leader with demonstrated success in developing and sustaining audiences, building a national brand, driving e-commerce, and developing and implementing a strategic marketing and communications plan. The Director of External Affairs is a key participant in the senior management team at the Hopkins Center reporting to the Director of the Hopkins Center.
- A highly developed understanding of the broad range of variables which affect audience engagement (marketing productivity, educational contexts, program content, social interactions, donor relations, customer satisfaction, to name a few).
- Comprehensive understanding of the principles of marketing, from product development through pricing and distribution, especially in the context of an educational cultural services organization.
- Thorough knowledge of the technical processes and aesthetics of communicating through direct mail, newspaper, magazine, radio, television, Internet and other new media.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the value of the arts in all forms.
- Ability to develop and monitor budgets.
- Ability to present complex, challenging or unfamiliar program content in a way that is engaging and motivating to an audience.
- In-depth familiarity with word-processing, spread sheet and database computer software.
- Ability to analyze, digest and respond capably to complex situations and data.
- Understanding of patron service principles in a cultural services organization.
- Familiarity with computerized box office ticketing systems preferred.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
- Strong interpersonal skills as a leader and as a team player.
- Ability to function at high levels in an environment of multiple deadlines and time sensitivity.
Eight plus years in a marketing leadership role in a performing arts or cultural center, preferably on a college or university campus, or comparable experience.
B.A. in marketing, arts administration or the equivalent in education and experience.