Now in its eighth season, the Gay Men’s Chorus of South Florida (GMCSF), with a current budget in excess of $700,000, is searching for a Director of Development to provide aggressive and visionary leadership to the organization’s funding strategies. GMCSF is the largest gay men’s chorus in the Southeast and in five years has grown to over 150 singing members.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for securing the financial growth and stability of the organization, while ensuring development efforts align with the mission, vision and values of GMCSF. The successful candidate will be energetic, outgoing, innovative and driven to meet and exceed goals, while building a focused and comprehensive approach to funding. Both an attention to detail, as well as a broader sense of scope and vision are important skills to lead the funding arm of this dynamic and emerging organization.
Key duties include, but are not limited to, the following, which may be performed personally or through volunteers:
- Meet or exceed annual fundraising goals as established in the Chorus budget.
- Lead the Development Committee in the creation, execution and follow-through on strategic funding plans.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, serve as the "fundraising face" of the Chorus at appropriate community events, assertively helping to build the institution’s connections and brand.
- Manage donor information and records in an accurate and timely manner.
Communicate with stakeholders on progress and challenges in the development effort, providing solutions and vital information points as needed to realize success.
- Introduce, implement, and follow-through on donor prospecting strategies with the Board, Staff and representatives from the Chorus Leadership.
- Introduce, implement, and follow through on moves management program for existing donors.
- Evaluate solicitation strategies for the Annual Fund and other campaigns; recommend and implement changes (e.g. frequency of mailing, follow-up on lapsed donors, identifying and soliciting donors who have capacity to increase their support). Work with relevant Chorus representatives to develop and execute solicitations.
- Oversee execution of fundraising campaigns, including the Annual Fund, annual membership campaign, and other strategic efforts that advance individual philanthropic support for the Chorus.
- Aggressively leverage Board, Staff and Chorus Leadership in successful donor cultivation and retention efforts
FOUNDATION AND GOVERNMENT
- Manage annual applications and reporting for all local, state and federal government grant programs.
- Identify foundation prospects, cultivate relationships and deliver successful grant proposals which generate funding that meets or exceeds annual foundation giving goals.
- Manage reporting and grant accountability requirements.
- Develop and implement the Corporate Voices program.
- In collaboration with Board, Staff and Chorus Leadership, identify and cultivate prospective corporate sponsors.
- Build relationships with existing sponsors to retain, renew and grow their support as appropriate.
- Manage corporate giving records and communication in an accurate and timely manner.
- Work with the Board, Staff and Chorus Leadership to grow the current planned giving program (Pegasus Society) to secure the future of the organization.
- Build relationships with existing members of the Pegasus Society, keeping them informed and engaged in the Chorus’s growth
Description of Position Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent preferred, plus 3-5 years of progressively responsible leadership experience in fund development
- Commitment to the Gay Men’s Chorus of South Florida mission and values
- Proven understanding of and track record in all facets of fundraising – annual events, planned and major gifts, capital, grants and endowment campaigns
- Maturity, diplomacy and common sense when working closely with all GMCSF constituent groups, especially major donors, Board members, volunteers and community groups
- Technologically experienced and savvy, including knowledge of donor management software
- Knowledge of various funding sources including foundation, corporate, government and individual donors. Experience fundraising in the South Florida market desirable but not required.
- Ability to motivate and influence others to reach goals
- Excellence in the following skill areas: written and verbal communication; inter-personal; problem-solving; analytical; planning and implementation; public speaking and presentation; organizing, prioritizing and detail-tracking in a multi-project environment; collaboration
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE