Curator of Contemporary Art
We are looking for a dynamic curator to join our Curatorial team at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA), a division of Scottsdale Arts, a leading nonprofit arts organization in the southwest. This unique opportunity is for a select candidate who has a proven track record of organizing exhibitions and curatorial work geared towards contemporary art, architecture and design. If you have a passion for contemporary art, and the powerful impact it can have on people’s lives, we want to meet with you.
SMoCA is a world renowned organization that champions creativity, innovation and the vitality of the visual arts. Seeking to build and educate audiences for modern and contemporary art, and to provide opportunities for the artistic community. SMoCA provides a memorable experience of art, architecture and design by exploring new curatorial approaches and highlighting cultural context. Our curatorial staff are an integral part of our success.
Knowledge and abilities needed to be successful in this position:
· Demonstrated knowledge of modern and contemporary art, architecture and/or design and experience curating and organizing a museum setting.
· Part of the team that develops, plans, organizes and schedules multiyear exhibition program reflective of the museum’s focus including traveling exhibitions.
· Budgeting responsibilities including development and oversight.
· Collaborative works on marketing and development of collateral documents.
· Engages in research and development of exhibitions, including proposals, catalogues, contracts, purchase orders, development of archive files, etc.
· Presents public lectures, programs and gallery talks and participates in press activities related to exhibitions.
· Develops, writes and submits grant proposals and applications, and is aware of new sources of grants. Assists with development activity for SMoCA and Scottsdale Arts.
· Cultivates and maintains appropriate professional, educational, and artistic relationships.
This position requires a Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) along with 2-5 years’ experience with progressively increasing responsibility. The ability to work flexible hours is required.
The Curator of Contemporary Art position is full time, with a rich benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, long term disability and more! We offer a 401K after a year’s employment and a Paid Time Off Program with a full holiday schedule. Salary commensurate with experience.