6-Month Seasonal Position (November-April with some remote work during off-season)
The Costume Director (CD) is responsible for the procurement, alteration, and construction of all costumes and related items required for the Palm Beach Opera season. The CD will supervise wardrobe personnel at the shop for fittings and alterations; and supervise wardrobe crew at the theatre for rehearsals and performances. Palm Beach Opera expects all employees to work in a safe manner, maintain a positive and respectful attitude, and communicate regularly. The costume director will support all Palm Beach Opera events. This position reports to the Director of Production and the Director of Artistic Operations.
· Serve as primary liaison with Stage Director, Costume Designer, Director of Production, and Renting Company Supervisor.
· Design and supervise construction of additional, alternate and/or special costumes as needed.
· Attend and supervise all fittings.
· Advise and assist the Director in achieving his/her vision.
· Overall supervisory authority for all Wardrobe related activities.
· Manage workflow; schedule and track hours of wardrobe personnel.
· Assign and assure completion of projects by wardrobe personnel.
· Track expenses, payroll, petty cash and budgets.
· Maintain a current and accurate overview of the shop workload.
· Insure the timely progress of all costumes and alterations, reporting potential problems exist to Director of Production and propose solutions.
· Attend all rehearsals when costumes are being worn.
· Attend all production meetings.
· Supervise wardrobe crew for all rehearsals and performances at Kravis Center or other venues.
· Assure the appropriate crew is called for daily work, load-in, rehearsal and performance, strike/load-out and rental returns.
· Provide rehearsal costumes as required by the Director and Stage Management.
· Maintain and organize measurement sheets for all artists.
· Collaborate with Development, Marketing and Education Departments for donor and other presentations.
· Maintain clean, safe and well-stocked workspace.
· Coordinate acquisition, purchase and return of all costume materials.
· Make planning and budgetary recommendations for season.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Ø A working knowledge of current practices and procedures for fittings and alterations of costumes.
Ø Extensive knowledge of costume history, construction techniques and fabric.
Ø Knowledge of art history and opera literature and traditions a plus.
Ø Strong verbal, quantitative, communication, and organizational skills.
Ø Design experience preferred, but not essential.
Ø Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work quickly and accurately with attention to detail.
Ø Experience with IATSE crew and costume shop procedures.
Ø This position requires the use of ArtsVision, our cloud-based contact and scheduling software. Software support and training will be provided.
Ø Must be computer literate, have a valid driver’s license and be able to work nights and weekends as required, climb stairs and step ladders, occasionally lift and carry up to 50 pounds and tolerate exposure to common laundry chemicals.
Please forward your cover letter, résumé, and any relevant work samples to: email@example.com
Palm Beach Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, age, familial status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability or genetic information.