Status: Full Time, Exempt
Schedule: Generally this position follows RACC regular business hours (M-F, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.), but flexibility is required – including occasional weekends and evenings
Supervisor: Director of Community Engagement
Direct Reports: Digital Communications Specialist
Compensation: $65,000/year plus benefits
Office Location: Downtown Portland (Pearl District)
The Regional Arts & Culture Council (RACC) is seeking a Communications Manager, responsible for conveying RACC’s internal and external messages. RACC values a community in which everyone can participate in arts and culture, and strives to cultivate equity in all of its programs. We also value a diverse workforce, built upon inclusion, equity and cultural humility and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
This position collaborates with
the community engagement team and program staff to develop and implement
strategies that increase public awareness of RACC and its various services and
impacts. The communications manager also helps RACC promote the importance of
arts and culture overall. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong knowledge
and passion for arts and culture; a thorough understanding of communications
platforms; strong public relations skills; a proven record of distilling and
presenting complex information in a way that is interesting and easy to understand;
and a flair for creating and packaging content that educates and inspires.
functions and responsibilities:
- Understand all aspects of our complex and multi-faceted organization, and convey stories and information to a wide variety of constituents utilizing diverse communication styles.
- Collaborate with the community engagement team to create and implement an annual communications plan that summarizes RACC’s communication challenges and opportunities every year, outlines strategies for delivering key messages to core audiences, and helps improve RACC’s visibility and reputation.
- Create clear, concise and compelling content for public consumption, including feature stories and articles, with supporting visuals, for RACC’s newsletters and family of websites – including www.racc.org, www.therightbraininitiative.org, www.workforart.org, www.portlandartspark.com.
- Develop and deliver the organization’s communications and collateral materials. Current products include a digital annual report; promotional flyers; and Art Notes, a newsletter with print and electronic versions. Evaluate the effectiveness of these communications tools, and develop new products as needed.
- Write and distribute press releases. Build positive relationships with local media outlets, pitch stories to the press, and serve as one of RACC’s spokespersons. Acquire and track earned media coverage.
- In collaboration with the community engagement team, ensure ease of use and accuracy of all content on racc.org, including thoughtful curation of the homepage, and publishing resources and opportunities that are provided by RACC and others.
- Supervise and collaborate with RACC’s Digital Communications Specialist, whose responsibilities include website design and maintenance; digital asset management; social media strategies and content; email marketing services; and other technologies that support the organization’s internal and external communication strategies.
- Develop systems for gathering source material from RACC staff to build content and features on RACC’s websites, newsletters and other publications.
- Reinforce RACC’s branding, style guide and messages. Help ensure RACC’s style and materials remain fresh and innovative.
- Manage the communications budget, and execute all communications campaigns and deliverables on time.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- At least six years of professional experience and/or formal education in communications. Experience with cross-cultural communications strongly preferred.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, including experience delivering presentations, and writing and editing content for both print and web.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of WordPress and email campaign systems.
- Strong understanding of current communications trends, the latest in digital/social media technology channels and how to best leverage these tools as part of an overall marketing strategy.
- Commitment to quality and accuracy, with exquisite attention to detail.
- Strong design aesthetics and proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud. Knowledge of Mac environment a plus, but not required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with strong, positive energy; intellectual curiosity; ability to handle stressful situations professionally; and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Strong cultural agility, and a thorough understanding of the disparities that exist in our community.
RACC offers excellent benefits, including paid holidays and Flexible Time Off, full medical and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, and long-term disability and life insurance.
About the Regional Arts & Culture Council:
RACC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that receives funding from a variety of public and private partners to serve artists, arts organizations, schools and residents throughout Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties. RACC advocates for public and private investments in the arts, provides grants for artists and arts organizations, manages public art, raises money through workplace giving, conducts arts education in public schools, and provides technical assistance and networking opportunities for artists. Online at racc.org.
All team members are expected to contribute to RACC’s mission, and support RACC’s core values in guiding their decisions and actions.
- We value freedom of artistic and cultural expression as a fundamental human right.
- We value a diversity of artistic and cultural experiences.
- We value a community in which everyone can participate in arts and culture.
- We value a community that celebrates and supports its artists, and its arts and cultural organizations.
- We value arts and culture as key elements in creating desirable places to live, work and visit.
Submit cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format to email@example.com by Friday, December 29. You may submit additional materials if you wish, including work samples and references.
All applicants will be notified by January 8 if they are selected to participate in an interview for this position. The targeted start date for this position is sometime between January 15-26.