Are you looking for a unique opportunity to expand your skill set and advance your career in arts administration, non-profit management, development, marketing, or sound recording? Do you work well in a fast-paced, high-energy, diverse, and rewarding environment? Then look no further, the Bravo! Vail Internship Program could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Hailed as one of the Top 10 “Can’t Miss” Classical Music Festivals in the US by NPR, the Bravo! Vail Music Festival brings world-renowned musicians to picturesque venues throughout Vail Valley in Colorado for six weeks each year, drawing music lovers from around the world. The only festival in North America to host four of the world’s finest orchestras in a single season, Bravo! Vail celebrates its 31st season June 21 through August 3, 2018. The 2018 season features residencies by London's Academy of St Martin in the Fields, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, The Philadelphia Orchestra, the New York Philharmonic, plus celebrated concerto artists and a wide array of stellar chamber music performances throughout the summer. Joining the Bravo! Vail team as an intern is an experience of a lifetime which provides countless opportunities to kick start your career and expand your knowledge base.
The Bravo! Vail Summer Internship Program is unsurpassed in its reputation of advancing interns into successful careers in arts administration, non-profit management, and beyond. Interns have gone on to work with world-class orchestras, performance venues, festivals, and community-based non-profit organizations. Bravo! Vail is seeking one artist liaison and eight highly qualified interns (two in each department-Marketing, Development, Sound Recording, and Operations/Education) who aspire to develop their skill set, seek to network with successful professionals, and aren’t afraid to tackle big projects. As an intern at Bravo! Vail, you will work with a variety of our staff, while working on real projects that will not only help our festival, but also build your resume and career opportunities. The ideal intern candidate is willing to jump right in, works well in a team environment, and knows how to problem solve in a variety of situations.
Highlights of the Bravo! Vail Internship Program:
- Intern Enhancement Activities: Throughout the summer interns will participate in open forum meetings with successful professionals from Bravo! Vail, the resident orchestras’ administration, and the Bravo! Vail Board of Trustees to get an insider’s perspective on many aspects of arts administration.
- Diverse Projects: Interns work on all aspects of the Festival including donor events, marketing initiatives, education programs, and operational components. In addition to their internship focus, this unique opportunity gives each intern a better perspective of which area they would like to pursue as a career.
- Networking Opportunities: Interns will have the chance to network with a wide range of successful professionals from board members to arts administrators at performances, donor events, and countless meetings throughout the summer.
- Access to concerts: Interns are able to attend most Bravo! Vail performances.
What We Require:
- Studies in Arts Administration, Marketing, Music Education, Non-profit Management, Sound Recording, Hospitality, or other relevant program
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment with a variety of people
- Flexible in nature, especially under pressure
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive projects
- Interest in classical music, the arts, non-profits, development, education, marketing, or sound engineering as a career
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude even in high-pressure situations
- Strongly prefer candidates who are seeking an internship for school credit
- Ability to problem solve and take initiative
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Additional skills and experience may be required for the sound engineering internship, including a familiarity with recording classical music and the ability to correctly wrap/coil audio cables
Bravo! Vail has developed a program which ensures you will receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will become knowledgeable in many areas of a non-profit arts organization. You will learn how to work in a professional environment and have several opportunities to network with leaders in the arts industry. For more information on Bravo! Vail, please visit bravovail.org.
The position begins June 11th and ends August 10th, 2018. The internship work hours will vary significantly, but include events on the weekends and evenings. You will receive housing for the duration of the program (available 6/9/18) and a paid stipend for the internship. Bravo! Vail requires you to bring your own laptop for work and you must have a vehicle. You will be reimbursed for mileage during the festival, but are responsible for the expense of getting to and from Vail. Please note that the internship sometimes requires long hours. In addition, this internship requires the ability to be on your feet for extended periods of time, and the capability to lift and carry heavy objects.
Operations Intern, one position available:
× Assist with all elements of producing successful orchestral and chamber music concerts
× Assists with front of house duties for a diverse array of community engagement concerts
× Attend and assist with rehearsals, including organizing catering and light production assistance
× Interface and assist guest artists
× Track important information in Arts Vision, including repertoire history and the guest artist database
× Other duties as assigned by Director of Operations
Education Intern, one position available:
- Assist with all elements of producing successful education & community events
- Assist with Instrument Petting Zoo Events
- Coordinate and assist with artist relations in presenting educational programs
- Assist with all community outreach events
- Assist Education Manager with enrollment process for academic year programming
- Attend all Education staff & Education Committee meetings
- Assist Education staff with all student initiatives during season (master classes, etc.)
- Help to coordinate and present Free Family Concerts
- Other tasks as assigned by Education Manager
Marketing and Public Relations Interns, two positions available:
× Assist with pre-and post-concert emails, including maintaining the e-mail timeline, learning the e-mail platform, pulling lists, editing copy, and testing emails prior to deploying
× Create social media posts as it relates to the overall social media plan
× Create flyers, postcards, e-blasts, and other marketing materials as needed; design program experience, and copy-editing skills a bonus
× Assist with the hospitality outreach program, including going to hotels on a weekly basis to update collateral and speak with hotel concierge; people skills required
o Create weekly concierge information sheets, highlighting upcoming concerts; knowledge of InDesign or Photoshop preferred
o Update hotel digital frames on a weekly basis; including creating digital designs for each concert using Photoshop
× Learn the website CMS system and assist with website updates
× Work on summer research projects, including Economic Impact Study survey
× Assist with management of Bravo! Vail’s social media sites; take photos and videos at community events and concerts and post on sites
× Organize all season photos
× Manage and maintain the press clipping book
× Involvement with special projects for enhanced learning, as it relates to interns area of interest: customer behavior research, social media analytics, google analytics work, customer feedback insights, research projects, and more
× Other duties as assigned
Development and Events Interns, two positions available:
× Assist Development staff with planning and execution of donor events
× Attend all events as assigned, and assist with reception table and other duties at events
× Create sponsor recognition and event collateral as needed, specifically event sponsor signs
× Assist with planning of Annual Gala and Auction
o Create auction booklet
o Prepare all gala signage and collateral
o Assist on-site at gala
o Produce thank you cards for auction donors, buyers and sponsors
o Assist in auction follow-up
× Maintain RSVP lists for social events
× Organize and distribute donor gift bags at concerts
× Assist in donor fulfillment duties as needed
× Prepare Development reports for staff as needed
× Interact with donors on a regular basis via telephone, email and in person
× Create final reports for all event and festival sponsors
× Other duties as assigned
Sound Recording Interns, two positions available:
× Under the direction of the chief sound engineer, sound intern will:
o Record all concerts and events that are part of the Festival for archival purposes.
o Handle mixing, mastering and archiving all events recorded
o Assist where needed at the Ford Amphitheater and other locations.
o Other duties as assigned
Artist Liaison, one position available:
× This is a unique and demanding position for someone with a strong background and/or interest in classical music, concert logistics, and artist relations. Responsibilities include dealing directly with artists and their managers, organizing itineraries, rehearsal schedules, transportation, etc. and other duties as assigned by Artistic staff. The hours are much longer and the demands are generally greater than that of the other internships. Please indicate if you would like to be considered for this opportunity.
Shared Intern Responsibilities:
× Attend all concerts and events on a shared rotation
× Assist with collateral distribution: distribute Bravo! Vail posters, pocket calendars, and other collateral throughout town
× Assist with Free Family Concerts and education activities throughout the summer
× Assist with Annual Gala and Auction
× Assist with any projects that may arise as needed
× Other duties as assigned by Bravo! Vail staff
Deadline to apply is February 21, 2018. Please apply online with your resume and cover letter by accessing our Recruiterbox site which can be found at this link: https://bravovail.recruiterbox.com. Please note that you are able to apply for multiple positions (for example, development and marketing) if you are interested in a few different departments. You will receive an auto-generated response indicating receipt of your application within one week.