The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA) has a position opening for an Assistant to the Edna S.
Tuttleman Director of the Museum.
The Assistant to the Director acts as the Museum Directors right hand and is aware of all activities relating to the Museum and PAFA departments.
He/she will be mindful of confidentiality issues and must be able to present him/herself as a liaison between the Museum Directors office and trustees, patrons, public, administration and staff.
A critical part of this position involves the planning, minute taking and correspondence between members of the Collections, Exhibitions and Community Education Committees (Museum Committees), involving trustees and outside advisors.
The key responsibilities of this position will include:
- Coordinate the Museum Directors calendar, telephone calls, and e-mail.
Schedule meetings and organize correspondence and files.
- Prepare, draft and coordinate materials for the Museum Committees (Collections, Exhibitions and Community Education Committees), and other important meetings as they arise.
Draft and distribute agendas and concise minutes of all Committee meetings.
Minutes shall be composed in a timely manner.
Follow-up with trustees, advisors, and staff on action steps and agreed-upon deadlines.
Maintain an updated contacts list and be familiar with the parties involved.
- Prepare and coordinate Museum Committees materials for the Board of Trustees meetings including Power Point presentations and status reports.
Board minutes shall be composed in a timely manner following meetings.
- Support the maintenance of the ongoing Exhibitions Calendar and exhibition pages on PAFAs website.
- Draft, maintain and distribute regular Exhibitions, program and PAFA events summaries to the Presidents Office and Senior Staff for distribution to the Board of Trustees and PAFA Committees.
- Prepare and distribute Exhibition Reports to PAFA donors and lenders to exhibitions.
- Be aware of all PAFA activities vis--vis exhibitions.
Be able to answer routine questions about PAFA museum programs and, if necessary, provide timely reminders to relevant staff via e-mail with regard to future issues.
- Act as liaison for communications with professional associations such as the American Association of Museums (AAM) and the American Association of Museum Directors (AAMD).
Coordinate and submit surveys to the AAM and AAMD including the annual AAMD Statistical Survey.
- Act as the contact person for operations related issues such as stationary, building maintenance and office equipment needs for the Museum Director.
Ensure a smooth and regular distribution of mail and inter-PAFA information.
- Act as the central contact for special projects as required.
Such projects may include coordinating exhibition VIP lists, donor lists, supporting PAFA staff, and researching exhibition related material and/or items in the collection.
- Carryout research as needed for the Museum Directors office.
In particular, help support and coordinate the applications of grants and funding programs with the curatorial department and development departments.
The qualifications for this role will include:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Bachelor of Arts preferred.
- A passion for the arts and at least two years of prior museum experience.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office software including Word, Access, Excel and Power Point, as well as a working knowledge of Outlook is essential.
- Excellent writing skills, focusing on business-type correspondence, recording meeting minutes and drafting concise reports are important.
- Ability to communicate effectively both to other members of staff, outside colleagues and members of the public.
- Ability to solve problems, anticipate future needs and be self-motivated.
A complete application will include: Cover letter with salary, requirements, Resume or CV, and List of professional references (3 minimum).
Applicants missing the requested information will not be considered.
When submitting your application online, please save your documents as Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF (.pdf) files.
To apply, please send your resume to Attn: HR Department, 128 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19102 or use the 'apply now' button below: